Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1080p upscaled on 4K tv

Options
  • 07-12-2015 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm having a right arguement with one of the lads. We both have 55" tv's, both LG. His is a HD tv (1080p), and mine is 4K. I'm trying to tell him, from watching, that a 1080p video on my tv with native resolution (ie: 4K) will not look as good as it would on his tv, due to the upscaling losing some of the definition.

He's trying to tell me that because they are both 55", the picture should be at least the same, if not better due to upscaling, on my tv.

Now, I've had to stop getting DVD's because the quality is shocking on my tv (should mention I run everything through the pc into the tv). And Blu-Rays look perfect if I set my resolution to 1080p, but if left at 4K, the image is smaller, needs to be stretched to fill the screen, and thus loses quality.

I also know that it's down to the tech in the tv that will affect the upscaling, but am I wrong in thinking that upscaling, regardless of the tech, will lose some quality when upscaling 1080p to 4K?

Advertisement