Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Book Pro Vs Surface Pro 4/Surface Book

Options
  • 07-12-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering if someone with a little more experience with both can help me make a decision here. I'm starting a new job soon and as part of my contract I am given a new laptop. I work as a designer so this is the primary function the device will be used for. I can't decide between a Mac Book Pro or the new Surface Pro 4 though.

I have always aimed to get myself a macbook when i could afford one back since i was in college. They are great computers for working on when it comes to design related work. I have alway worked on either a Mac Book or iMac throughout my career and know they are reliable and the adobe suite works great on them, the retina display screen is obviously nice to have too.

Recently though I have become a bit infatuated with the Surface Pro 4, I do quite a bit of digital sketching in my spare time and love the idea of being able to draw straight onto the tablet. From all the reviews i've read its excellent for artists and obviously being a Microsoft machine runs all the programs i work with no problem.

Just wondering if i'd be mad to pass up the opportunity for a brand new mac book for something that im sure many would consider a little gimicky? Even if that's not how i see it myself i'd be interested to get some feedback from anyone who has used both and might be able to give me some information before making my decision.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

At the end of day it's going to down to the applications you need to use for productivity. I've no direct experiences of the Mac but might presume it and Windows can run the same tools/apps. As a designer I suspect you will hook up the machine to a large monitor which may mean digital sketching is only something you can do when undocked (unless you have a Wacom or something)

food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

If i get the macbook i will only be able to sketch when hooked up to my second monitor and using a wacom the surface can do both, i could hook it up or i can use it as a tablet and sketch straight on it.

Im thinking more in terms of productivity, performance, longevity etc My head says go with the mac, the heart say go for the fancy gadget (the Surface)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

I usually follow my heart for what its worth otherwise end up thinking about what might have been...
    good luck.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been toying with the idea of both for a long while now, and I'm still not certain.

One thing that stops me from buying the Mac, is how dated the OS feels. It's just not great, but I think most can get over that. The spec/money between the both are pretty similar in terms of processor/RAM and SSD.

One thing that might sway you is screen size, the Mac has the larger screen, which may make it better on the go. And the Surface form factor may not be ideal depending on your usage.

I love the look of the Surface Book, but let's be honest, the pricing there is going to be out of this world!

I've been toying with the idea of both for a long while now, and I'm still not certain.

One thing that stops me from buying the Mac, is how dated the OS feels. It's just not great, but I think most can get over that. The spec/money between the both are pretty similar in terms of processor/RAM and SSD.

One thing that might sway you is screen size, the Mac has the larger screen, which may make it better on the go. And the Surface form factor may not be ideal depending on your usage.

I love the look of the Surface Book, but let's be honest, the pricing there is going to be out of this world!

If money was no object which would you go for, Surface Book? It looks great but then again i've always loved the timeless look of the Macbook. The detachable screen and the fact I could sketch on it just appeals to me so much. I hate Windows though... especially anything past Windows 7! OSX doesn't feel that dated to me personally. EL CAPITAN was recently released, I havent used it yet but i'd image there's been some noticeable changes surely?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If money was no object which would you go for, Surface Book? It looks great but then again i've always loved the timeless look of the Macbook. The detachable screen and the fact I could sketch on it just appeals to me so much. I hate Windows though... especially anything past Windows 7! OSX doesn't feel that dated to me personally. EL CAPITAN was recently released, I havent used it yet but i'd image there's been some noticeable changes surely?

Hating Windows would make it seem like you've made your mind up...

Win10 is a great OS, but if Mac OS is what you want, then Macbook it is I guess.

So maybe i go with the mac and just buy a samsung galaxy note pro 12.2 to draw on? This was my other idea but the only decent drawing app is sketchbook and its not ideal for inking comics which is what i planned to do with the surface pro using manga studio/photoshop

So maybe i go with the mac and just buy a samsung galaxy note pro 12.2 to draw on? This was my other idea but the only decent drawing app is sketchbook and its not ideal for inking comics which is what i planned to do with the surface pro using manga studio/photoshop

Would you not buy a waccom (SP?) tablet or similar for the macbook? Or whatever the best writing/drawing tablet you can buy is? It seems illogical to buy another computing device for drawing.

The Macbook Pro retina, has one of the best screens out there, so in terms of visuals you can't go wrong. But buying a Mac to use android tablet seems a bit mad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

i have a digital drawing pad, albeit not a wacom but i find it tricky at times watching the screen while i draw instead of my hand. Obviously i could get one of the larger Wacoms (Cintiq etc) but they are mad money and also will not work as a standalone device. I cant stick it i my bag while i travel and sketch etc. That was the appeal of the surface. I could disconnect the keyboard and draw away on the tablet itself, no restrictions. Note pro 12.2 offers me that freedom too, something lightweight i can carry with me to sketch on the go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GoodKill

I've used and configured both (not in a design capacity) for various means and I would always go for OS X over Windows.

I find it a great OS. I haven't shut my own personal Macbook down in a month and it's flying!

Encountered a lot of software and hardware issues when configuring the Surface pro's. Now, the software issues were partly down to the applications we needed to install, but why they work for some and not others strange. You won't have that with OS X, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not an artist, but using an N-trig enabled tab (like an SP3), so somewhat familiar with them.

If you're drawing a lot then the two things you want are low latency and great palm rejection. And the surface of the glass/digitizer matters too, the feel of a plastic stylus on a plastic standalone drawing tab is quite different from a stylus on slippy glass.

Best advice anyone can give is to get into a store and try both of them, what feels right to you will be the best buy.

Advertisement