Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exciting new era for the BDO

Options
  • 06-12-2015 11:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

The BDO have issued a short statement regarding the 2016 calendar and financial backing from new key sponsors

The Winmau World Masters will now be the-end-of-year marque event held on a new date (second weekend in December) and in a new venue, the Copper Box Arena in the Olympic Park, London. This new date will also include the Players end-of-season awards.

As well as the Winmau World Masters, the two other events in 2016 that should be considered majors are the BDO World Trophy and the BDO World Matchplay. These three majors will be complemented by four new events for the Top 16 players and some wildcards. No details of these events were given.

The statement also talks of new sponsorship from bigger brands and growth for all levels of the BDO, from County to Professional level. This writer certainly hopes that these claims of more money from bigger sponsors comes to pass and isn't just bravado in the face of adversity.

Details of the new sponsors and new calendar for 2016 will be issued in the run-up to Lakeside 2016.

Within the statement, Sue Williams (Chairman of the BDO) says,This is a new era for darts in Britain and I would like to thank all the people who have worked so hard over the last few months to make this happen. These are exciting times for the BDO and darts internationally. We look forward to the BDO growing from County to Professional level, backed by the biggest brands.

The full BDO statement can be seen here.

The BDOs followers and fans will be hoping this statement is the start of a regeneration for the BDO. Its generally recognised that investment is needed to help bolster an aging infrastructure and create interest in the organisation. With increased interest would come a higher profile and even more funding. Hope springs eternal for followers and fans of the BDO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I'll believe it when I see it. Promises like this have been made before and have come to nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I'll believe it when I see it. Promises like this have been made before and have come to nothing.

To me it sounds like they're trying to secure a TV deal, I can't see any of the above happening until someone shows all of them live. Hopefully BT are sniffing about.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    To me it sounds like they're trying to secure a TV deal, I can't see any of the above happening until someone shows all of them live. Hopefully BT are sniffing about.

Well they should always be doing things like that but it's the timing of the announcement that's telling IMO. Is the thinking that by making these announcements (while not confirming any firm plans in place for anything other than moving the Masters), that this might encourage more players to stay after Lakeside? I'd say that's a big part of it.

Well they should always be doing things like that but it's the timing of the announcement that's telling IMO. Is the thinking that by making these announcements (while not confirming any firm plans in place for anything other than moving the Masters), that this might encourage more players to stay after Lakeside? I'd say that's a big part of it.

Possibly, but I don't see how moving the Masters to December would be used to keep players from moving, sounded like TV rights to me but there could very well be a double agenda. Either way, I hope we get more BDO on TV and some top players in it.

Possibly, but I don't see how moving the Masters to December would be used to keep players from moving, sounded like TV rights to me but there could very well be a double agenda. Either way, I hope we get more BDO on TV and some top players in it.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't suggesting that moving the Masters would help keep the players, just that it seemed to be the only thing they could be definite about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Supposedly after this years Lakeside BT were interested in covering more events but this never transpired. Eurosport apparently weren't paying them anything for the events they covered in 2014, this year they cut the arse out of their coverage, I think they only showed the World Trophy and the Winmau.

They need a proper tv deal and I hope they get one. More darts on tv is good for everyone.

sport.bt.com/sport-football/football/bt-sport-to-broadcast-the-bdo-world-professional-darts-championships-S11364029317760

BT Sports had this on there website today.. With the BBC not continuing next year, It's looking good.

sport.bt.com/sport-football/football/bt-sport-to-broadcast-the-bdo-world-professional-darts-championships-S11364029317760

BT Sports had this on there website today.. With the BBC not continuing next year, It's looking good.

How is it looking good? They are losing a vast amount of their audience moving to BT. The exposure they got from the BBC was probably the only thing that's keeping them alive.

Looks like they were true to their word about the new events.. The BDO Players Championship is on the last 2 days in February.. Top 20 players plus 4 wildcards.. No TV coverage announced yet..

How is it looking good? They are losing a vast amount of their audience moving to BT. The exposure they got from the BBC was probably the only thing that's keeping them alive.

Only seen this now..

The reason I say its looking good is because if BT didn't take it up, BDO wouldn't be on TV anymore.. Obviously we would prefer it on free to air but the BBCs coverage has been severely lacking the last few years and they have dropped it completey now

• Advertisement

Looks like they were true to their word about the new events.. The BDO Players Championship is on the last 2 days in February.. Top 20 players plus 4 wildcards.. No TV coverage announced yet..

They're going to lose a ton of money selling tickets like this, how on earth can that be sustainable??

img_4067.jpeg

http://tungstenstories.com/2015/12/28/event-previews-2016-bdo-players-championship/

They're going to lose a ton of money selling tickets like this, how on earth can that be sustainable??

Absolutely ridiculous. I've been following it all on Twitter and it has been a shambles from the start.. This DeLuxe crowd that are organising it seem to be amatures. Doesn't look like it has TV coverage either so no sponsors. They will lose money on this big time

The *Free Bar All Day* is a catch too, it's 10 free drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

The *Free Bar All Day* is a catch too, it's 10 free drinks

Depends on how quick ya drink them ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Probably cocktail sausages and chips too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

event cancelled lol
    bdo are some joke

exciting new era, no just more of the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Embarrasing stuff

BDO Press Release - Players Championship

Press Release Starts ---

It is with deep regret that the BDO has to announce the cancellation of the Old Billingsgate event due to take place on 26 - 28th February 2016.

It has been confirmed that anyone who has purchased tickets to the event will be reimbursed by PayPal and Ticket Master by clicking a button on their sites.

TV discussions have been on going but have not reached a conclusion in time for this event to take place.

I can also confirm that any player that has paid for flights will be reimbursed in full on production of their receipts. This situation is beyond our control and is not a postion that we wanted to find ourselves in but unfortunately there was no other solution available at this late stage.

Sue Williams
    Chairman

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was reading a bit on other forums that the BDO are in genuine trouble, they've huge debts which have been mismanged by the current board. With BBC cutting the coverage of the World's it's looking likely that Bob Potter and Lakeside as the main sponsor will reduce the prize fund for next years championship.

Winmau have been loyal and announced they will ensure the same fund for the World Masters in October. The World Trophy has been pushed back to May but is in danger of not happening due to no sponsor.

Very bleak times for the BDO, there seems to be a lot of incompetence at the top. Not good business people in those roles by the sounds of things.

Advertisement