Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent salary/experience needed?

Options
  • 06-12-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi

I think that being an estate agent might be something that I could be interested in. I don't know what qualifications are needed? I recently bought a property (April this year) and it was although it was an absolute roller coaster of a ride -I really enjoyed it. I learned so much from the experience and although I've always had an interest in property I thought a good way to start might be to become an estate agent and see where that would take me.

I have a full driving licence 8 years and a car (which is a requirement) and I have experience in buying a property and the several stages of that. However I don't have a relevant qualification and I am looking at some courses but I'm not sure if it is possible to get a job as an estate agent without the right qualification. I'm 25 and all of my experience is in retail (5 years in retail management).

Also is it standard to receive commission after each sale that goes through and is there a standard rate when a sale is completed?

I am just thinking about this for now and looking into it. This will be a couple of months down the line if at all but I am interested....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

First things first you need a licence to be an estate agent and to get that licence you need to have a certain amount of qualifications and experience.

Some of the bigger companies do graduate programs so would be worth contacting them
    You can do the courses part time at night so you can work at the time but I would imagine not offered a huge basic salary until you qualify. There are restrictions on what you can carry out legally also until you fully get your licence (i.e. you can't take bids).

It's a tough job. It is very long hours; many weeks you will work 6 days and you have to deal with a lot of emotions and frustration. Also difficult solicitors, long drawn out receiver sales, tenants who are being booted out because of a receivership situation or a landlord wants to sell, tricky executor sales - you name it!
    However the rewards do seem pretty good if you stick the head down and work hard.

I would research the course most suited for you and contact some local estate agents to you about maybe doing some weekend work or what advice they could give you.

Have a look at the Property Service Regulator website and IPAV - I am sure you will find a lot of information there too!

Good luck!

Advertisement