Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does licensing/apprenticeship for hairstylists work in Ireland?

Options
  • 06-12-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi everyone, thanks for looking!

I'm going to be moving back to Ireland at the end of next month, and after lots of searching the Web I'm still confused about what I should be doing when I arrive. I've been living in Canada for nearly a year now, and have been at a Hairstyling academy while I've been here.

I can afford a diploma program, which here is 1500 hours in the academy salon. (There are theory classes and constant hands on training. In Canada I'm equal to a third year apprentice an would have to work 9 more months in a salon before taking the license exam so I can become a junior stylist. ) So, instead I opted to pay by the month and get as many hours as I could. By the time I leave, I should be around 1000 hours.

So - 1000 hours...it would roughly equal a second/early 3rd year apprentice here, since when you're at an Academy you get more practice in than an apprentice in a salon typically would. Ive got all my basics down and can work independently, but I'd definitely benefit from more time as an apprentice, especially since most of our clients are the kind of clients who just want cheap cut & colour, so I don't get to do fun stuff very often. (I've done TWO balayage blondes in 10 months. ) it's the more advanced stuff I could use more training in, that I'm not going to get at my school anyway.

What will happen when I move, and what should I be looking for? If I apply for jobs for 2nd and 3rd year apprentices, will they asses my skills and take my hours into account? (I'll have a transcript with my hours plus grades on theory exams, also going to try to get one of my teachers to write a letter of recommendation & endorse my skills.) OR am I going to have to start at the bottom as if I have no experience at all? 'Cause those 1st year positions are pretty scarce.

TL;DR Is the apprenticeship system in Ireland very rigid, or are they more concerned with skill/ability than recorded hours?

STL;DR Who's gonna hire me with 10 months experience? I'm good with basic cuts, colours, blowdrys, updos, and I can wrap a mean perm 😅 Not that they're popular for anyone under 60!

Advertisement