Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mystery bird today [ID'd - Siskin]

Options
  • 06-12-2015 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Just now I fleeting saw a bird in my garden that I don't know. It looked quite like a female chaffinch in colour and shape but was a lot smaller, maybe just a touch bigger than wren. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Goldcrest perhaps?

goldcrest.jpg?width=300&height=200&crop=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

possible I suppose but It was very plain looking.....i'll look at it on google images

edit ...yes it could be but I didnt see the gold crest....it was only a seconds glance though...if it's head was tipped away from me, it's possible. Some pics on google are very like it. (thx)

I'd guess dunnock then! Although it's a bit bigger.

no, i'd know a Dunnock alright...much smaller than that...keeping n eye out for him

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Redpoll?
    Describing where it was and what it was doing can help with identification. Hanging on a feeder? On the ground? On a branch? Rapidly flitting through an evergreen tree etc.

• Advertisement

no but co-incidentally my Redpoll did visit the same day (see stickie for photo)

it literally darted in , landed for a second on a branch and took off again. a Lot smaller than a Redpoll. Coloured a bit like a female Chaffinch but tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Wren?

no, a Wren is unmistakable.

I think Kovu must be right.... not counting my Goldcrests until they have hatched though

I often see them here in the dales, the colours are quite duller in winter so the head crest wouldn't be very obvious. They flitter about very quickly.

Wasn't a treecreeper was it? They're lovely little things.

• Advertisement

wasn't creeping up a tree.....I'll google...

possible but that beak is very distinctive,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

A female Siskin perhaps?

yes that's a real possibility.It was very like the photos on google images. I thought they wouldn't be around yet, but I see on google they are resident all year. Will have to keep a good watch out to confirm.

25svpmo.jpg
    29vz0u8.jpg
    x0siup.jpg

This is it I think....Female Siskin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is indeed.

and is this the same bird?

257hfg4.jpg

you can see it's fairly small.....looks a bit Greenfinchy but far smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

That's a Siskin too.

the second was just after the first but are different birds..... I shall probably have a few more now they've found me.

Advertisement