Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with grammar and syntax

Options
  • 06-12-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering if someone could tell me is there a single word for the following statement? "if the opposite were true".

(Moderators: I am in college and in the process writing assignments. I would like some help with grammar and syntax. Would it be OK to use this thread for such question?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Bog Butter wrote: »
    Hi all. Just wondering if someone could tell me is there a single word for the following statement? "if the opposite were true".

(Moderators: I am in college and in the process writing assignments. I would like some help with grammar and syntax. Would it be OK to use this thread for such question?)

Contrary?

Incidentally, you have a typo in your thread title.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Conversely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I would also go with 'conversely' but there is nothing wrong with the original and it might be easier for the reader to understand your reasoning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Bog Butter wrote: »

Ah yeah. No bother. Sounds like a good sort of thread to have in general.

I am going to fix your thread title though. It's making me twitch.

Advertisement