Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility room shelving - Advice needed

Options
  • 06-12-2015 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum to ask this, if not, sorry....
    Anyways, I'm considering adding some shelving to our utility/storage room.

The shelf space dimensions are 6' long and 28" deep.

What I'm planning to do is, tack some 2"x2" framing to the rear wall studs (6' long), and both side wall studs (26" long each). I want to place some plywood ontop of this - but I'm not sure if this would require some center bracing or if I'd get away no extra support or maybe I could add a 6' long 2"x2" framing to the front access of the shelving.

The plan is to add 3 shelves around 24" high apart.

What spec/grade plywood should I use for the shelves and any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
    Seany

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PK27

over a 6' length, the shelves will sag in the middle. I would definitely use a centre leg. You should only need one at the middle front, as the back will be screwed into studs the whole width of the shelf i assume. With a centre leg for bracing, 12mm ply would be adequate, but you could go 15mm or 18mm for strength, but i wouldnt think its necessary. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

PK27 wrote: »
    over a 6' length, the shelves will sag in the middle. I would definitely use a centre leg. You should only need one at the middle front, as the back will be screwed into studs the whole width of the shelf i assume. With a centre leg for bracing, 12mm ply would be adequate, but you could go 15mm or 18mm for strength, but i wouldnt think its necessary. Hope this helps!

Thanks PK27, you got my intent, although I just measured the width again and it's only 5' long. Would the centre leg still be required with a thicker (stronger) ply?
    I want to avoid the centre leg if possible as it will reduce the available front access....although I assume the leg could be 2"x2" which is not very wide.

Also, with regards to the horizontal 5', 2"x2" length, front access bracing? Is this required with and/or without the centre leg?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PK27

seanynova wrote: »
    Thanks PK27, you got my intent, although I just measured the width again and it's only 5' long. Would the centre leg still be required with a thicker (stronger) ply?
    I want to avoid the centre leg if possible as it will reduce the available front access....although I assume the leg could be 2"x2" which is not very wide.

Also, with regards to the horizontal 5', 2"x2" length, front access bracing? Is this required with and/or without the centre leg?

Thanks

Even at 5' it would probably still sag over time. Yes 2"x2" centre leg would be all you need, even 2x1 screwed onto the front and touching the floor would do, and at least it's cosmetically better as it won't protrude from the shelves as much.
    Another option would be to use 3x2 under the shelves with the 3" side facing out at you, this will obviously restrict the access by an inch top to bottom of shelves, but the timber shouldn't sag. This would do away with the need for the centre brace, and I'd probably go 15 or 18 mm ply. You'll get away with one 8x4 sheet so not much difference price wise. Don't go to the likes of b and q it's robbery go to Chadwick's and make sure you order planed timber, the rough stuff does be all twisted before you even buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

PK27 wrote: »
    Even at 5' it would probably still sag over time. Yes 2"x2" centre leg would be all you need, even 2x1 screwed onto the front and touching the floor would do, and at least it's cosmetically better as it won't protrude from the shelves as much.
    Another option would be to use 3x2 under the shelves with the 3" side facing out at you, this will obviously restrict the access by an inch top to bottom of shelves, but the timber shouldn't sag. This would do away with the need for the centre brace, and I'd probably go 15 or 18 mm ply. You'll get away with one 8x4 sheet so not much difference price wise. Don't go to the likes of b and q it's robbery go to Chadwick's and make sure you order planed timber, the rough stuff does be all twisted before you even buy it!

Thanks for the tips, but I won't make it to Chadwicks or B&Q, it will likely be home depot Canada :)

I'll remember to ask for planed timber though!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

You could use a 50 or 60 mm rip of ply wood and nail it to the front of the ply wood shelf. This might help with sagging and you might get away with out the support. But ideally you want the support in the middle. To be sure. I'd use 18mm ply myself.

One question to ask yourself is how much weight is going to be on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Depending on the loading, since its preferable to keep the floor clear, what I have done, albeit in a workshop, is fix a threaded bar, like that used for hanging aircon ducting from the ceiling and pass it though the 3 shelves with a nut under each shelf and the bar sleeved in white conduit.

Bar very effective in tension but of course it all depends on the fixing on top.
    Shelf not obstructed unless the items are very deep and longer than half the width of the ope

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement