Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for computer science student

Options
  • 06-12-2015 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi i'm just wondering what kind of laptop would i be best getting, i am doing Computing applications in DCU and need a new laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

You don't need too much for CS. Even an i3 without a graphics card would be enough if you want a cheap work only laptop.
    Like this one for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭war2k10

Well i want something that will do for a few years and i can do maybe a small bit of video editing on. i want it to be portable and good battery

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

war2k10 wrote: »
    Well i want something that will do for a few years and i can do maybe a small bit of video editing on. i want it to be portable and good battery

I am not sure about video editing, but in general getting a graphics card on a laptop is not cost efficient.
    The prices for laptops with dedicated graphics cards and 16GB of RAM (for video editing) start at about E800. You probably want an i5/i7 with a GTX 940M and 16GB of ram and possibly an SSD.
    So something like this one, but with SSD.

Advertisement