Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flock of wild duck

Options
  • 05-12-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

In a flooded field beside Glenswilly GAA ground this afternoon about 250-300 wild duck. A great sight.

Would such numbers together be unusual? I live near a river and see only a handful each year.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

At this time of year no they wouldn't be unusual. They tend to move around over the winter depending on how flooded the rivers and neighbouring land is, so given the recent weather I'd guess that their usual haunt has too much water on it for good feeding but that the rain has allowed for good feeding in the field you saw them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Do you know what type of duck they were? Teal usually form big flocks at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

how wild were they? scary wild?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Do you know what type of duck they were? Teal usually form big flocks at this time of year.

Not well up on species but they were green and brown so I suppose they were Mallard.

Advertisement