Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal Gas Boiler - Problem

Options
  • 05-12-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, Can Anyone please help?

I have a gas boiler. Ideal Mini S 24.
    When the thermostat is set low(below room temp) the water gets hot in the storage tank and we get hot water............... -- Normal Operation

But When the room thermostat is set to high for room heating (say 25 degree) the room heats up........but no hot water available in the storage tank, even if we run the boiler for 1- 1.5 hours

it seems like all the hot water goes to the radiators without entering the storage tank ... All valves are ok....
    I rang someone for boiler servicing and he spend some time infront of boiler and said I have to replace the Gas valve and didn't serviced the boiler and charged me service charge--......

what would be the problem. Will a service/gas valve replacement solve the problem.

Please advise.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

inspire09 wrote: »
    Hi, Can Anyone please help?

I have a gas boiler. Ideal Mini S 24.
    When the thermostat is set low(below room temp) the water gets hot in the storage tank and we get hot water............... -- Normal Operation

But When the room thermostat is set to high for room heating (say 25 degree) the room heats up........but no hot water available in the storage tank, even if we run the boiler for 1- 1.5 hours

it seems like all the hot water goes to the radiators without entering the storage tank ... All valves are ok....
    I rang someone for boiler servicing and he spend some time infront of boiler and said I have to replace the Gas valve and didn't serviced the boiler and charged me service charge--......

what would be the problem. Will a service/gas valve replacement solve the problem.

Please advise.

Thanks

Was this always the situation or did it only happen recently

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PK27

Could be an issue with a motorised valve. Somewhere on the system, most likely in the hot press or over the boiler, youll see a valve attached to the heating pipe with a wire connected to it. OR there could be more than one. Have you got these in the house? I would guess that if it suddenly started happening then the valve is faulty and is easily replaced. If its always been a problem since day one then i would think its been wired incorrectly- easily done if there are two or more motorised valves. A good electrician would figure that out.
    Generally, if you can have hot water only by turning your stat down, it should heat water and rads with stat up above current temperature. I would also hazard a guess that the house was built in and around 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 inspire09

Hi I recently moved into the apartment... So don't know it happened recently. no contacts of previous tenants

Hi there is one motorised valve and its working... when thermostat is put to high (when we need room heating) we can hear valve working ... valve opens and flow start to radiators..... in 10 - 15 seconds we can feel flow to hot water storage become less//// or stops..
    Seems like the water flow is not enough to pass through both -- hot water cylinder and the radiators.....

The service man asked me to change the gas valve in the boiler --- I don't understand for what-- he said it will cost 100s of euros... ..

Hi there is one motorised valve and its working... when thermostat is put to high (when we need room heating) we can hear valve working ... valve opens and flow start to radiators..... in 10 - 15 seconds we can feel flow to hot water storage become less//// or stops..
    Seems like the water flow is not enough to pass through both -- hot water cylinder and the radiators.....

The service man asked me to change the gas valve in the boiler --- I don't understand for what-- he said it will cost 100s of euros... ..
    I don't see how the gas valve has anything to do with the problem you're having

• Advertisement

That's what, I also was wondering... he just came and took the money saying a call out charge.....

I searched the net about working of gas boilers... I have a doubt....... if the pump in the boiler is not functioning properly ( not having full power)..... will it cause this problem.... how to know whether it is the problem of the pump ... is there only trial and error method..

Thanks

That's what, I also was wondering... he just came and took the money saying a call out charge.....

I searched the net about working of gas boilers... I have a doubt....... if the pump in the boiler is not functioning properly ( not having full power)..... will it cause this problem.... how to know whether it is the problem of the pump ... is there only trial and error method..

Thanks

Your issue is either wiring or motorised valves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Is the motorised valve a 3 port valve
    How many pipes go through is it 2 or 3

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Is the motorised valve a 3 port valve
    How many pipes go through is it 2 or 3

the valve is on a copper pipe... so only 2..... inlet and outlet

When the thermostat is in low position... the hot water from boiler passes through hot water storage tank.... there is no other motorised valves ... only two manual valves in the inlet and outlet of the hot water tank
    both fully open....

when thermostat is set high......ie just after that click sound we could hear the motorised valve opens and hot water starts flowing..... gradually we could feel the water passing through the hot water tank stops....... no other motorised valves......

the valve is on a copper pipe... so only 2..... inlet and outlet

When the thermostat is in low position... the hot water from boiler passes through hot water storage tank.... there is no other motorised valves ... only two manual valves in the inlet and outlet of the hot water tank
    both fully open....

when thermostat is set high......ie just after that click sound we could hear the motorised valve opens and hot water starts flowing..... gradually we could feel the water passing through the hot water tank stops....... no other motorised valves......

Is there a red wheel valve on the bottom of the cylinder? If yes, close it fully, then re open it 1 full turn anti clockwise. See how that goes

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I don't see how the gas valve has anything to do with the problem you're having

Yeah gas valve absolutely not the problem. I'm thinking there may be two returns banging, I have a similar problem on my own system. If you picture a T joint , on mine the plumber has the heating return and the cylinder (hot water) return basically crashing into each other on a T. Hard to explain on a keyboard but basically:
    H/W RETURN~~~~~><~~~~~HEATING RETURN
    | |
    | |
    RETURN TO BOILER
    The two arrows are on the horizontal ends of the T and the vertical stem of the T is going back to the boiler so picture the two returns crashing into each other in a battle to escape down and back to the boiler. It's not a massive problem, can be done on flows all day long, but bad practice on a return.
    it doesn't actually stop the flow when they bang, but I find my hot water stops heating if I open the balancing valve fully. Now I would never usually do that, I would have it only one turn open , which sends more energy to rads, but having the balancing valve close to closed keeps water and rads going.
    Try turning yours down, it's most likely a red handle valve on the pipe work to the coil. Close it fully then open just one turn and see if you get any joy

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is there a red wheel valve on the bottom of the cylinder? If yes, close it fully, then re open it 1 full turn anti clockwise. See how that goes

Sorry just realised you already said what I'm after saying in my last reply!

trying..... shall post the result after some time...... :-)

Think its working.... water became enough warm when adjusted the valve... shall try next day and post results... Many thanks to both of you..... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

[...]I rang someone for boiler servicing and he spend some time infront of boiler and said I have to replace the Gas valve and didn't serviced the boiler and charged me service charge--[...]

What a clueless rip off merchant. It's people like him that give the trades a bad name :mad:

Advertisement