Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed Walls Leaking(Concrete)

Options
  • 04-12-2015 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Firstly i had a root around and i cant seem to find anything on this particular one. But as the title states i had a shed built back in the summer and it was all ok(family built it) on a budget i had so i couldn't get it all fancy. But now into the winter i realized on a hazy rainy day the walls will be damp and leak in. We've checked all the joints there are no visible cracks or no points missed as it was the first port of call. If it rains heavy its never too bad but light hazy rain penetrates the walls.

Question is can a paint on liquid be got to cover the walls that will be clear when done as one of the walls is neighboring onto someone else's property and if i paint/plaster or do anything to the wall i need to do 3 times the amount to look respectable in their property. Or can such a product even be got to seal the walls from the exterior as there is no point doing it internally as the water will only build up in the wall over time.

Any help is really appreciated as i don't want my tools being damaged and the builder was family and it was a budget build on my behalf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Richie2110 wrote: »
    Firstly i had a root around and i cant seem to find anything on this particular one. But as the title states i had a shed built back in the summer and it was all ok(family built it) on a budget i had so i couldn't get it all fancy. But now into the winter i realized on a hazy rainy day the walls will be damp and leak in. We've checked all the joints there are no visible cracks or no points missed as it was the first port of call. If it rains heavy its never too bad but light hazy rain penetrates the walls.

Question is can a paint on liquid be got to cover the walls that will be clear when done as one of the walls is neighboring onto someone else's property and if i paint/plaster or do anything to the wall i need to do 3 times the amount to look respectable in their property. Or can such a product even be got to seal the walls from the exterior as there is no point doing it internally as the water will only build up in the wall over time.

Any help is really appreciated as i don't want my tools being damaged and the builder was family and it was a budget build on my behalf.

More than likely its moisture in the air in the shed and possibly some condensation. I have a large shed here with 6ft high 8inch thick mass concrete walls that are bone dry on the wettest day of the year but on a damp drizzly day the walls and the floor get wet to the extent of water droplets forming. No way this has come through the wall.
    If its block built and not plastered outside i would expect to see moisture coming through during heavy wind driven rain. Not likely on a soft damp irish day. Maybe seal up any drafts around doors, windows, roof- wall junction etc but wont be 100% successful. Some one of the water stop type coatings eg Thompsons might be worth applying to the exterior if its plastered.
    Humidity, air and wall temperature and dew point are the big problems. An insulating inner surface will help as the moisture wont condense on the warmer surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 denisedxx

Advice needed I have a concrete shed the back wall is leaking every time it rains I can see where it’s soaking through and running down I don’t have access to the outside of the wall, so the solution will have to be from the inside, the front and sides are ok they were plastered on the outside I have tried Thompson’s one coat water seal which hasn’t helped any advice would be appreciated tia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

denisedxx wrote: »
    Advice needed I have a concrete shed the back wall is leaking every time it rains I can see where it’s soaking through and running down I don’t have access to the outside of the wall, so the solution will have to be from the inside, the front and sides are ok they were plastered on the outside I have tried Thompson’s one coat water seal which hasn’t helped any advice would be appreciated tia
    You can inject concrete joints to seal any defects however it's expensive.
    I've seen extensive use of this on commercial projects and it certainly works.

Advertisement