Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Scott Weiland

Options
  • 04-12-2015 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

http://www.tmz.com/2015/12/03/scott-weiland-dead/
    Rock star Scott Weiland was found dead on his tour bus in Minnesota ... TMZ has learned.

Weiland was on tour with his band Scott Weiland & The Wildabouts ... they were supposed to play the Medina Ballroom tonight, but the show was cancelled.

A source connected to the band tells us Scott was found Thursday night on the bus around 9 PM -- presumably, shortly before the band was to go on.

The former lead singer for Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver famously battled substance abuse for years. It's unclear right now what caused his death.

Scott was 48

It was inevitable, but this is crappy news, he was always one of my favourite front men, genuinely sad that he's gone for good now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Gee I was in a great mood this morning. What a fúcking waste, I was looking at his most recent shows. He was steadily getting worse.

Easily one of the best front men in rock on his day, snake like hips. Chester Bennington ain't.

It's a sad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Aw no, the guy had his troubles, but his voice was a thing of beauty, what a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As said, such a waste of an amazing talent.

RIP to the guy, must have been a horrible deterioration.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Missed my chance to see him with Velvet Revolver when they played Dublin a few years ago. They broke up shortly after.

RIP. Hell of a voice and performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

RIP. What a voice this man had!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Was never a massive fan, though I love Purple. I didn't go beyond Purple but I did like a few other songs (Plush, Bang Bang Baby). However I was always interested in Weiland and unfortunately his lifestyle caught up with him.

We don't know the cause yet; died in his sleep - OD? Heart attack?

I didn't go beyond Purple

There latter albums are class. I prefer them to Core/Purple.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

RIP Scott Weiland

Saw STP play in the SFX many moons ago, a great gig with the unplugged set in the middle too. Sad news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Crappy news. Saw Velvet Revolver in the 2 Point 3 arena in 2007. One of the best gigs ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Was never a massive fan, though I love Purple. I didn't go beyond Purple but I did like a few other songs (Plush, Bang Bang Baby). However I was always interested in Weiland and unfortunately his lifestyle caught up with him.

We don't know the cause yet; died in his sleep - OD? Heart attack?

Does it matter?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    There latter albums are class. I prefer them to Core/Purple.

I had Tiny Music... for a while and I liked it, must dig it out and listen some more.

And I bought the reunion album (the self titled one) and thought it was terrible.

I had Tiny Music... for a while and I liked it, must dig it out and listen some more.

And I bought the reunion album (the self titled one) and thought it was terrible.

Jeez, maybe have another listen. I love it, songs like Coma, Cinnamon.

On a brighter note!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sad news but what a legacy he leaves. Purple is possibly my favourite album of all time.

I was going to recommend this when you said you never went beyond Purple. I don't think it's as good but there are still some great songs on it such as And So I Know and Adhesive.

I agree. It's a very bland affair. There are some nice tracks on the follow up, Shangri La Di Da, but nothing as good as their first three efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Actually, I'm getting jumbled. No. 4 is bland but their last effort, self titled, has some nice tracks on it. Shangri La Dee Da is also forgettable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Incredible frontman

Saw him with VR. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Very sad about this. Purple is one of the best albums of all time. not much touches it. RIP

Very sad about this. Purple is one of the best albums of all time. not much touches it. RIP

I'd sort of agree, the first half is excellent but I've always found the second half a bit of a drop (besides Big Empty).

Anyway now's not the time to critically evaluate the albums. Though if anyone has any further insights into the post-Purple work, I'm all ears. :)

Edit: By the way I have the CD edition of Purple, where the title and symbol are actually printed onto the jewel case - anyone else have that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Really crappy news to wake up to :(,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Wow not really shocking though is it? Met him a few years ago in Berlin, he looked like he would blow over from a stiff breeze. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

A pity, but inevitable.
    He was my favourite all round frontman ever, the combination of his personality on stage and the voice put him above anyone else for me.

Purple is and will probably always be my favourite album, all killer no filler as they say.
    Purple and Core I found chalk and cheese depending on mood which was what was so great about Weiland.

The house of blues recording was 2000 were epic even though he had a tough ten years done of touring and drugs and what not by that stage.

After SLDD album his voice really went down hill though, as someone else said Atlanta was a great song on No 4.

Saw him in first with VR in 2008 in the Ambassador and they broke up days later. They were great but the STP gig in the Olympia in 2010 was miles ahead for me, he seemed happy despite the fact you could nearly see the fear in the DeLeo's not knowing what he would do next.
    Every time I read about and saw him since STP broke up for the second time I felt it was only a matter of time.
    Even when one of the lads in his new band OD'd he didn't get the wake up call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

My God, That voice!

Every now and again I'd throw on purple and instantly be transported back to the halcyon summer days of 1995.

Addiction is an evil c*nt that has robbed us of a once beautiful voice.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Big fan in the 90’s, literally only started listening to them again a few weeks ago, when I seen the band minus Scott on the Jimmy Kimmel show, performing a once off with Joss Stone as, yes, the Joss Stone Temple Pilots.
    Anyway, started listening to Core and Purple again, and also read a lot about Weiland’s decline over the years health wise, so to hear this is a little freaky to say the least, if not a complete surprise.
    A great singer / frontman on his day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Really sad news. Got into STP because I'm a GNR fan and when VR formed I decided to listen to their stuff. I had heard he was still fighting addiction and I saw some video of him performing and it was really sad. So as awful as it is to say. It wasn't a total shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rip

Fall to pieces was a piece of magic

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Scott also did a good job on GN'R songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Rip

Fall to pieces was a piece of magic

Listening to it for the first time in ages as I type. All four of them made that song but scott's voice is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He played in a one day festival called the WBCN River Rave in Boston in the late 90s.

I remember the DJ on WBNC the next day talking about what a mess he was on the day and how much trouble they had getting him on stage and all the drama that went with it.

Surprised he lasted this long the way he was treating himself.

Off to listen to a few S.T.P. albums for the test of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

STP were never my favourite band and I always thought he was a bit of a dick that must've been nearly impossible to work with, but nobody could say that he wasn't a good frontman. Had a great voice and stage presence.

RIP,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

He was looking ok before the split from STP, and it may have been that STP were keeping him in good condition. However, with the split it seems he grouped himself with enablers that allowed him to slowly destroy himself.

He was a great frontman in his prime. RIP

Advertisement