Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye surgery

Options
  • 03-12-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have been wearing glasses for practically my whole life, and am considering laser eye surgery to remove the need for glasses completely.

I've contacted Optilase who have quoted me approx. €3700 for both eyes with a lifetime care guarantee. My prescription is quite strong, -10, hence why mine are costing more than the usual surgery would cost.

Are there other providers to look into or are Optilase generally well received?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You do realise that you will probably need reading glasses in your 40s if you get your short sightedness sorted.

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

NIMAN wrote: »
    You do realise that you will probably need reading glasses in your 40s if you get your short sightedness sorted.

What age are you?

Of course, I fully expect that to be the case. :):)

I'm currently 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭skerry

Techmaster wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have been wearing glasses for practically my whole life, and am considering laser eye surgery to remove the need for glasses completely.

I've contacted Optilase who have quoted me approx. €3700 for both eyes with a lifetime care guarantee. My prescription is quite strong, -10, hence why mine are costing more than the usual surgery would cost.

I had surgery with Optilase about 18 months back and found them good. Have had great results so far. To be honest, I had a -3 prescription and paid something like 3400 for it so its not a huge difference in price versus prescription.

I can PM you details my details to avail of the 100 Euro discount if you decide to go ahead with them, you'll just need to quote the details at your initial consultation.

Its not a lot, but with that and claiming tax back the following year it definitely takes the pinch out of it. Let me know and I can forward details on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That would be brilliant Skerry!

That would be brilliant Skerry!

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jasper_

For that price you can go to get it done by Prof Michael O'Keefe in the Mater Hospital. He is the most experienced and highly regarded eye surgeon in Ireland. If you do a google of his name you will see that you could not possibly go to better man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I got mine done in optical express in Ballsbridge 3 years ago for a winter special of €2013, using wavefront, my eyesight was -8 and -6. I've been wearing glasses since I was 11 and my big regret was that I didn't do it years ago ! I was warned that the stronger your prescription the more likely you are not to achieve 20/20 vision the first time around and would likely need a top up and that was the case with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭David Della Rocco

Hey, just throwing in my 2 cents. I went with Optilase and had surgery last August. To date, I couldn't have been happier with the way things went. I paid €3,300 after receiving €100 off for the referral discount. I will claim close to €700 back this month in tax. My prescription was -1.25 and -1.5. A week after I thought vision was a little weaker in my right eye as it had always been but this was just me being paranoid. I went into my check up and both eyes are 2 lines better than 20/20. Same after my 3 month check up. As mentioned above, we may all have to get reading glasses in our 40s but at 27 I felt these were the best years with which to enjoy the good vision, however long it lasts.

At 27, my prescription had stabilised and not changed in the 2 years I was wearing glasses. Just one thing I would wonder is that at 19 perhaps your prescription has not stabilised and may change in the next few years. Just a thought, a friend of mine had his eyes done when he was in his late teens as he received it heavily discounted under his fathers healthcare. Now approx. 10 years on he is wearing glasses again. I'm sure that your optician or Optilase can elaborate on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Hi all,

Had Lasik done with Wayne Crewe Brown at Optilase, Ely Place. He has an excellent record The pre surgery consultation and check up was very thorough, the day of surgery was first class with excellent care and high morale among staff. Post care is also very good.

One year later and I am very happy with my eyes and perfect vision. I paid around €3300 for -3 prescription. You can't go wrong with Brown! Look into his record online. The Mater is also first class so it's your choice.

Brown was one of optical expresses most experienced surgeons in edinburgh before setting up here, he has huge experience and an excellent track record. And with life time cover and a lifetime referral scheme it was a no brainer for me. Was going to send you more info re pre, during and post surgery experience but your inbox is full. I also have a referral discount if you or anyone needs it. All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I have a consultation with Optilase, Ely Place on Friday. My eyes are -4.5 so hopefully nothing out of the ordinary and I can proceed with the surgery.

• Advertisement

I have a consultation with Optilase, Ely Place on Friday. My eyes are -4.5 so hopefully nothing out of the ordinary and I can proceed with the surgery.

-4.5 doesn't sound that bad but I think there are a few other factors they consider before they decide if your a good candidate or not. Had mine nearly a year ago and was -2.5 I think. PM'd you referral details for €100 off the procedure if you end up going ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

skerry wrote: »
    -4.5 doesn't sound that bad but I think there are a few other factors they consider before they decide if your a good candidate or not. Had mine nearly a year ago and was -2.5 I think. PM'd you referral details for €100 off the procedure if you end up going ahead with it.

Just update, I can get Laser done but not for 3 months, as they want to be sure about my right eye & deterioration. Nothing to worry but they want to be 100% sure. The price is €3400 for Lasik. My eyes are now at -5.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

I'm 17 will be 18 during the summer perscription is +1.50 and I have -1.75 astigmatism my perscription has not changed in 3 years do ye think id be a candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eye.spy

Telo123 wrote: »
    I'm 17 will be 18 during the summer perscription is +1.50 and I have -1.75 astigmatism my perscription has not changed in 3 years do ye think id be a candidate?

From my research i think they (mostly) have no problem fixing minus prescriptions but I don't think they can always work with + prescriptions... That said this is just from me researching for myself and the surgery does vary depending on the patient - only one way to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

eye.spy wrote: »
    From my research i think they (mostly) have no problem fixing minus prescriptions but I don't think they can always work with + prescriptions... That said this is just from me researching for myself and the surgery does vary depending on the patient - only one way to find out!

Thanks I hope they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 6dia6hal6

Hi Guys, I'm going to be booking surgery this week if anyone would like to offer me a referral code, thanks

6dia6hal6 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm going to be booking surgery this week if anyone would like to offer me a referral code, thanks

Hi, I'll fire you on a pm with referral details there now 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Is there a maximum age for this, does anyone know? Looking for my mam who's in her 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I had Radial Keratotomy 20 years ago ( pre laser)

Would i be able to have laser surgery now ?

I cant read anything but long distance is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cmckeo

Hi Everyone,

It's been a full year since I had laser eye surgery done with optilaze. I had wavefront intralaze done and I couldn't be happier with it. I have had no problems with dry eyes. I still have a bit of sensitivity to light, tho, so I have to keep my sunnies handy.
    I recently had to have my eyes tested to renew my drivers licence. Needless to say, the opticians were very keen to have to prescribe me new glasses. Unfortunately for them my vision was 20 : 20 and 100% healthy.
    I have literally never looked back. It was worth every penny!
    If anyone is thinking of having surgery and want to get €100 off their treatment with optilaze, I would be happy to be their 'friend' for the refer a friend scheme. Just P.M. Me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

Hi Folks

Booking in with Optilase for the Lasik treatment later on this month. If anyone has a code or would be so kind as to be my "refer a friend" it would be greatly appreciated... Every little helps ;o)

Skarey wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Booking in with Optilase for the Lasik treatment later on this month. If anyone has a code or would be so kind as to be my "refer a friend" it would be greatly appreciated... Every little helps ;o)
    Hi Skarey, I'll fire you on a PM with Referral details now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

Many thanks skerry

All booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rugby12

Hey Skerry, would you mind referring me aswell so I can avail of the discount? I have had my consultation already just booking the surgery now with optilase

rugby12 wrote: »
    Hey Skerry, would you mind referring me aswell so I can avail of the discount? I have had my consultation already just booking the surgery now with optilase

No bother, PM sent there now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

If anyone else would like a referral, sterling or euro, just pm me and I'll sort you out.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Same, feel free to PM me for optilase referral or any questions you have around optilase.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

Hey all,
    my eyes are like -1 -1.25, I am 35, do you advise me to do laser?

danko82 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    my eyes are like -1 -1.25, I am 35, do you advise me to do laser?

Had mine done 2 year ago at 35 and had similar prescription. Worked out well for me but ultimately they will tell you if you are suitable and have stable vision at the consultation. Had mine done with Optilase, if you want a referral drop me a pm

• Advertisement
Advertisement