Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athy RFC under threat

Options
  • 03-12-2015 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭

News from Kildare is of a proposed route for a relief road in Athy threatens to cut through most of the playing pitches at the rugby club. You can read more about it below along with a map showing the offending route. Athy RFC are one of the oldest clubs in the country and are a credit to their town; it would be a shame if this plan comes to fruition.

http://www.athyrugbyclub.com/index.php/news/latest-news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

News from Kildare is of a proposed route for a relief road in Athy threatens to cut through most of the playing pitches at the rugby club. You can read more about it below along with a map showing the offending route. Athy RFC are one of the oldest clubs in the country and are a credit to their town; it would be a shame if this plan comes to fruition.

Unless they got given a huge bag of money.

errlloyd wrote: »

Yeah compulsory purchase orders aren't a nice thing to face but the compensation is always very very good.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,295 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Which would be pretty useless to them as
    (a) there would be a set figure per acre offered regardless of the current land use
    (b) the club would still be basically split in two
    (c) there is no lands in the immediate area available or suitable to compensate for the loss of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Which would be pretty useless to them as
    (a) there would be a set figure per acre offered regardless of the current land use
    (b) the club would still be basically split in two
    (c) there is no lands in the immediate area available or suitable to compensate for the loss of land.

I don't know Athy rugby club or Athy town well at all I'll be honest. But I am fairly sure the cpo has to compensate you for the loss of function, and not just the acreage. Usually the compensation for that sort of instance is very generous. Again, pain in the bullocks, probably preferable if it wasn't happening, but also potentially an opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The Current Market Value of land acquired under CPO is only one component of the calculation of compensation, there are several other criteria factored in too:
    • Diminution in value of retained lands, if any
    • Costs resulting from acquisition
    • Disturbance
    • Loss of profits or goodwill
    • Loss or depreciation of stock in trade
    • Professional fees necessary for acquisition

Here's the Society of Chartered Surveyors Client Guide on the subject:
    https://www.scsi.ie/documents/get_lob?id=402&field=file

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I don't know Athy rugby club or Athy town well at all I'll be honest. But I am fairly sure the cpo has to compensate you for the loss of function, and not just the acreage. Usually the compensation for that sort of instance is very generous. Again, pain in the bullocks, probably preferable if it wasn't happening, but also potentially an opportunity

In terms of where Athy is located, well they are blessed compared to other clubs in Ireland. They have four flat pitches, including a hard wearing main pitch that's the envy of many clubs. The club is in the middle of town and is easy to get to, being beside the link road for the M9.

They also share with a football club, who also stand to lose playing space if this road plan comes to fruition. A GAA field will go as part of the scheme.

Speaking of compensation is all well and good but they would have to uproot and as good as start from scratch outside of the town wherever that could be. There's many a sports club who can tell you why moving location isn't a good option, for many many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Could the topic be changed to Athy pitches please? I was concerned for their existence at first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

I think Athy benefited pretty well from previous road that went through their property, plenty of land within 2 square miles of current ground. Not privy to what price they would get but I would think it would be an oppurtunity to build a modern club house and all that goes with it. A royal pain in the ass for them but wouldn't be the 1st club that was moved although granted it would be against there wishes. They won't cease to exist they may or may not move but they won't be gone any time soon. Current academy players Jeremy Loughman and Joey Carberry played and were developed by Athy until they were 15 or so and moved to Rock on scholarships for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    I think Athy benefited pretty well from previous road that went through their property, plenty of land within 2 square miles of current ground.

What road is that?

Advertisement