Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding gift

Options
  • 03-12-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi I would like to get my husband to be a watch as a wedding gift to be given on the morning of our wedding. I'd like it to be a nice dress watch and my main concern is that it would be a high quality watch that will stand the test of time ( excuse the punðŸ˜) something that he will still have forever. So any advice on what brands I should be looking at and where would be the best place to shop? I'm based in Dublin. Budget around €500 but can be flexible in this regard if it opens up better options.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

500 will definitely get you a nice watch that'll last.

Tissot and Hamilton are both good brands - a couple of examples below. Tissot are available in loads of shops; Hamilton are slightly harder to find in Dublin.

Tissot Visodate:

T019_430_16_031_01.pngtissot-TGJ.01.jpg

Hamilton Jazzmaster
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamilton-Gents-Jazzmaster-Vialiant-H39515734/dp/B007XT2HMU/ref=sr_1_10?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1449183947&sr=1-10&keywords=hamilton+watches
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamilton-Jazzmaster-Viewmatic-H32515555-Watch/dp/B0040DFDFK/ref=sr_1_12?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1449183947&sr=1-12&keywords=hamilton+watches

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

May I suggest a vintage watch, maybe an omega. Perhaps you can find one from his birth year to make it more special again.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

I would also suggest Tissot, le locle collection is beautiful and you can get an automatic one for around this price, swiss made, sapphire crystal glass etc.. Hamilton is available in arnotts if you were looking to buy one. Prices are really depending on the style and movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Thanks for replies, very helpful. Had a little look online and Tissot seem to have lots of nice options in my price budget. Hamilton ones seem more expensive but they have some beautiful watches. I'm gonna shop around and take a look at some in person before deciding. Any particular jewellers/shops you guys would recommend for Tissot watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

893bet wrote: »
    May I suggest a vintage watch, maybe an omega. Perhaps you can find one from his birth year to make it more special again.

Hadn't considered this at all, thanks for the suggestion it's a really nice idea. Again, can i ask is there anywhere you would recommend to buy one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I got my husband a Steinhart Ocean 1 Black watch for our wedding. He already had another one of their watches and loves it. They're a German brand and I ordered online, I don't think any shops in Ireland have them. They would have a good selection for your budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Thanks for replies, very helpful. Had a little look online and Tissot seem to have lots of nice options in my price budget. Hamilton ones seem more expensive but they have some beautiful watches. I'm gonna shop around and take a look at some in person before deciding. Any particular jewellers/shops you guys would recommend for Tissot watches?

Loads of jewellers stock Tissot so if you head into town, you'll find somewhere. Off the top of my head, I always find Fields good to deal with. Hamilton are very nice; I've owned 2 and the quality is good. They're from the same group of companies as Tissot.

As Cakerbaker said, Steinhart are great watches, but they don't have too many dressy options - though one of their Marine watches might be an option, or maybe one of their pilot watches. The submariners might be a bit too sporty, but I've owned a few diver watches over the last couple of years, and the Steinhart is definitely the best value for money of any I have owned. If there was a different brand name on it, you would easily pay double or triple for the same quality IMO.

Advertisement