Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Lost & Found, is it reliable?

Options
  • 03-12-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I left something behind on the bus on my way home.

Dublin Bus website said that you contact the collect items in their lost & found department in the city centre.

Does anyone know if they're reliable?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not so much DB lost &found you're depending on, more so on whoever found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TheDruidWizard

That's what I'm afraid of.

The laptop is password encrypted at least and it mainly just work stuff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wasn't sure where I lost my car and house keys but guessed it was on the bus. Rang the next day, was asked to describe them and they told me, sure, come pick them up.

The unfortunate thing is that they didn't get any details of the person who gave them to the driver as I'd have loved to have given them something as a thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

Top notch drivers in Dublin Bus, got my macbook back after leaving it upstairs on a bus in May- never carry 2 bags after a difficult exam...
    Tip- The second you notice you left something on bus, ring Bus Eireann Lost property, if the bus is still on its journey they will stop and have a look for you to see if the item is still where you left it. The guy in lost property will radio the bus.
    I'm also annoyed I didn't get your mans name, as I was in shock due to not knowing if the bag was mine until the bus man came back off his shift as he had it with him.
    Any kind of 'find me' software on it? Best of luck OP. Maybe the bus driver found it? Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

That's what I'm afraid of.

The laptop is password encrypted at least and it mainly just work stuff on it.

That won't stop someone selling it on ScumDeal.

You just have to hope that the person that found it handed it in rather than nicking it.

It does happen, I have had a number of valuable things handed to me by passengers who found them, the other sort we would generally not know about.

A few years ago a colleague had a chap who left his wallet behind but realised just as he was getting off the bus, he went back but the seat he had been in was already occupied by another man despite there being no reason that he should have swapped seats. A standoff occurred until threats to call the Guards when the man produced the wallet from his pocket. The guy was glad to get his wallet back and didn't want the bother of reporting it so no action was taken but the thief was blacklisted by the driver and some others on the route so ended up standing at the stop as his bus whizzed by on a number of occasions.

• Advertisement

Okay, thanks to those who replied.

From what people have said, the drivers themselves are honest. Just hopefully another passenger was honest enough about it to send it in.

As I said, it's password encrypted and the browsers I use are in anonymous mode so personal details wouldn't be effected (Changed passwords as just in case).

Worst case scenario, I can buy a new on and just be out of a laptop for a short time. As a better precaution I could buy a bigger single bag, rather than carrying two (one for laptop, another backpack for personal items) so incidents like this shouldn't happen again.

Just to let everyone know that I got my laptop back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

vagazzled wrote: »
    Top notch drivers in Dublin Bus, got my macbook back after leaving it upstairs on a bus in May- never carry 2 bags after a difficult exam...
    Any kind of 'find me' software on it? Best of luck OP. Maybe the bus driver found it? Fingers crossed.

For your own piece of mind Apple computers can be located via iCloud as well as iPhones and iPads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Just to let everyone know that I got my laptop back.

Was it easy?

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Was it easy?

yeah, it was actually. You just phone up the next day and make an inquiry and try to give a description about it.

Then it was available for collection just after 2pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

yeah, it was actually. You just phone up the next day and make an inquiry and try to give a description about it.

Then it was available for collection just after 2pm.

Good to hear it turned out well.

Maybe at Dublin Bus lost property office they could have a donation tin for say, Temple Street Hospital, or Fr Peter McVerry, as people are delighted to get their valuable or sentimental items back. A tin like that would have prompted me to say 'thank you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

vagazzled wrote: »
    Maybe at Dublin Bus lost property office they could have a donation tin for say, Temple Street Hospital, or Fr Peter McVerry, as people are delighted to get their valuable or sentimental items back. A tin like that would have prompted me to say 'thank you'.

Unless they've dropped the charge (which is justifiable, tbh) I couldn't see many people donating more.

A charge? I wasn't asked for one, but maybe it was because I was actually shaking whilst waiting an hour or 2 when the bus driver had his lunch. I was not in a position to lose a lot of work and a laptop I had scrimped for.
    I imagine the charge to be something nominal? 5-10e? Yes it's unfortunate to lose valuables or sentimental items, but the sheer joy of knowing some opportunistic thief is not in possession of said items would encourage me to pay if asked any money towards admin, upkeep etc.
    Actually in December they should collect for Christmas party for themselves. They deserve it from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The Dublin Bus website states a charge of a nominal fee of €2 applies to process lost property:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Contact-Us1/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's barely increased in years if my memory of picking up my brothers college bag in the 90s is right. Was about a pound then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I left something behind on the bus on my way home.

Dublin Bus website said that you contact the collect items in their lost & found department in the city centre.

Does anyone know if they're reliable?

My girlfriend lost her purse on DB and got it back through them.

Advertisement