Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComboJack on a laptop

Options
  • 03-12-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    Just got a new laptop yesterday for college works and the likes; specifically a Lenovo G50-80.

However it has a combo-jack which is a fair bit awkward as I would've liked to plug in my laptop to a DJ mixer via aux cable to record mixes. My question is, is there any way to make the PC recognize the cable in as a microphone?
    If it can't it's fine as I can just get a USB sound card kind of job for around a fiver.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

simon360 wrote: »
    Hey there,
    Just got a new laptop yesterday for college works and the likes; specifically a Lenovo G50-80.

However it has a combo-jack which is a fair bit awkward as I would've liked to plug in my laptop to a DJ mixer via aux cable to record mixes. My question is, is there any way to make the PC recognize the cable in as a microphone?
    If it can't it's fine as I can just get a USB sound card kind of job for around a fiver.
    Cheers.

So is picking if up as headphones cos you're using a double ended 3.5mm lead?
    Do you get a pop up when you plug in the lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

mordeith wrote: »
    So is picking if up as headphones cos you're using a double ended 3.5mm lead?
    Do you get a pop up when you plug in the lead?

Not using a double ended lead, just plugging the cable straight from my mixer into the laptop and its not coming up as microphone in. Nothing coming up in device manager either.

Not using a double ended lead, just plugging the cable straight from my mixer into the laptop and its not coming up as microphone in. Nothing coming up in device manager either.

What software are you recording with?

Audacity, but it's not even showing up as mic in on device manager or windows recording devices.

I bought an external sound card today as from searching through google it seemed there was no solutions.

Audacity, but it's not even showing up as mic in on device manager or windows recording devices.

I bought an external sound card today as from searching through google it seemed there was no solutions.

It's probably something to do with the black bands on the lead you are using. They define whether a device is a mic or headphone afaik, so it's possible the lead you are using has only two bands.

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    It's probably something to do with the black bands on the lead you are using. They define whether a device is a mic or headphone afaik, so it's possible the lead you are using has only two bands.

I've just figured it out, completely overlooked this.

I used the audio driver software and you can select what the lead enters the jack as. It is by default selected as headphones, so I changed it to mic in/line in.
    Cheers for the help anyway mate.

Advertisement