Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble with personal profile and CV, please help!?

Options
  • 03-12-2015 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

For some reason I have so much trouble getting my CV right.
    When I go to retouch it and make it better I feel like I'm suffocating because I have not had reply's from any job applications and whenever I have received professional advice on CV prep, they are always in contradiction with the advice I have received!

Example, one person (professional helper) took out my personal profile, and placed the first jobs I did when I was 18 at the top of the CV. Then another did the opposite. So no matter where I go to receive help, its always the opposite!

I feel lost at the moment because I seem to have a block when I go to restart and refresh my CV.

I want a receptionist job. I completed a course recently and would like a career as a receptionist. However.......since it is Christmas, a retail job would be fine also.

What exactly, should I do or write? The previous jobs I have done are opposites to one another and its just so annoying since, when I do eventually get an interview, the interviewer looks at me oddly as if I am all over the place. In reality though, I just wanted to keep busy and take any job! It has been my downfall though and I really am lost.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

http://cvmkr.com/ is a pretty good resource for "filling in the blanks" and letting their own site create a template for you (there are styles to choose from).

But, you have to use the oul Dale Carnegie method. See how the company will benefit from your knowledge and expertise. So instead of listing your talents, try to mold them in to what those talents could achieve at the company. It might mean you have ten different CV's but that doesn't matter, just as long as you don't mix them up!

The other trick is to get a friend, or colleague list your pro's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭misscpmfan

me_irl wrote: »
    http://cvmkr.com/ is a pretty good

Thank you! I'll give it a go, its just so hard to relax when it comes to this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

misscpmfan wrote: »

Example, one person (professional helper) took out my personal profile, and placed the first jobs I did when I was 18 at the top of the CV.

That's insane - I don't think I've ever seen a CV that didn't have the most recent experience at the top. I mean, it would make your CV memorable alright, but not in a good way.

loyatemu wrote: »
    That's insane - I don't think I've ever seen a CV that didn't have the most recent experience at the top. I mean, it would make your CV memorable alright, but not in a good way.

Thats the dole for you. Those people you are required to see or else you shall be cut off from your payment. Absolutely insane is the right word to use. They really don't give a **** about anyone. If everyone had work, they wouldn't have anything to do. They could at least help people that are trying to improve themselves.
    I understand some of them when they have mostly junkies and mouchers giving them grief but oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

I was advised to put most recent first..makes sense when you think about it as its probably the most relevant education etc relating to the job..

Also leaving cert is probably outdated to some degree compared to further education so shuffle down the list..

After your attain a degree, the LC is pittance.. only valuable information it contains is where you went to school (good reputation?) and when you finished school, giving a good indication of your age usually.. something employers are not allowed to ask by law so as to not discriminate against based on age.. IMO anyway.

• Advertisement

This is my personal profile at the top of my cv right now. I don't know if its ok, I would like maybe tips, how to improve etc....if possible :)

I am an ambitious girl and I want to improve the skills I have as much as possible once given the opportunity to do so.
    After completing a part time course in Reception Skills, I am currently seeking a full time position in this area of employment and with the skills I have received I aim to achieve any goals I can fulfill in any company that is willing to give me a chance to do so.
    As you can see from my CV, In the past I have aimed to seek employment within retail however since working as a P.A. / secretary within an opticians based in Dublin 2, I am aiming for a Secretarial / Admin position.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That profile seems weak to me. You need to be more positive about yourself, and less pleading.

You have completed a course in reception skills, and have gained experience as a PA. You also have retail experience, which should be shown in a positive light, as giving you experience in dealing with clients/customers, not in the apologetic way you phrase it. Sell your skills, not just as 'your skills'. Are you organised, logical, a problem solver? The profile is you, in a nutshell, yours just tells me you want a job; I already know that. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    That profile seems weak to me. You need to be more positive about yourself, and less pleading.

You have completed a course in reception skills, and have gained experience as a PA. You also have retail experience, which should be shown in a positive light, as giving you experience in dealing with clients/customers, not in the apologetic way you phrase it. Sell your skills, not just as 'your skills'. Are you organised, logical, a problem solver? The profile is you, in a nutshell, yours just tells me you want a job; I already know that. :)

Sigh, this is why I'm rubbish at this stuff and you are right, I need to be more positive but it is kinda of hard. Guess my confidence I low at the moment, but I'll work on it. Any advice is helpful when you are desperate lol

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

misscpmfan wrote: »
    This is my personal profile at the top of my cv right now. I don't know if its ok, I would like maybe tips, how to improve etc....if possible :)

I am an ambitious girl and I want to improve the repertoire of skills I have attained as much as possible once given the opportunity to do so.A after completing a part time course in Reception Skills,. I am currently seeking a full time position in this area of employment. and with the skills I have received I aim to achieve any goals I can fulfill in any company that is willing to give me a chance to do so.
    As you can see from my CV, In the past I have aimed to seek sought employment within retail. hHowever since working as a P.A. / secretary within an opticians based in Dublin 2, I am aiming for seeking a position of Secretarial / Admin position.

Take it or leave it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 connmel

I would definitely not call yourself a girl. Also you talk about your skills but you don't say what they are. IMO a personal profile is a great opportunity to tick some boxes. So you could say something like "I recently completed a Reception Skills course and this together with my experience as a retail assistant, PA and secretary has enabled me to develop excellent organisation, communication and customer facing skills, all of which are critical for success in a xxxx role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Hi OP, I work in recruitment (not an agency) and know each person has their own preference on what they think works best in a CV/Profile. Personally I would always say start with personal details, 2/3 line profile, work experience (most recent - least recent) and then education hobbies etc.

The profile you have is really negative on yourself you need to highlight what you have done and the hard work you have put in! :) I would tweak it like this:

"I am an ambitions and hard-working individual eager to improve the skills I currently have from my time working as a P.A/Secretary in a busy Dublin 2 Opticians and working in the retail sector.

I have recently completed a part-time course in Reception Skills to compliment my past experience and would be really interested in any opportunities that would allow me to enhance my own experience while also contributing to your company."

If I can help with anything else send me a message :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Unless you were looking for a role that didn't match your work experience (where you may need to explain your goal), I'm not sure I would bother with the profile section at all. It's nearly always waffle (even if written well).

Advertisement