Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing engineering specialty

Options
  • 03-12-2015 6:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I've been working as a mechanical design engineer (manfacturing industry) for quite a few years now, and more recently I've found myself looking towards project engineering.

There seems to be more jobs available and more progression in project work, but I find most advertised jobs require lots of project experience. Am I too long out of uni (10 years) to change my career path, or is there a way to transition over?

Has anyone done anything similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ask Donal on here. He has do something similar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have you been the lead eng or in charge on any projects so far?

Have a think about your experience so far, apply the STAR method to projects and then see how the CV looks compared to what the ads are looking for.

http://careerweb.leeds.ac.uk/info/21/interviews/216/star_method

In a previous job I could have described myself as any of Mechanical/Design/Project Engineer so you may be able to do something similar.

Never too early or late to get into project engineering. I moved from civil, albeit on operations and maintenance, to project engineering in manufacturing (food) and now to pharma.

Career path may be different to what you want, in that it might be contract work at the start. But if you have experience with manufacturing then I'd say you'd be fine to jump in.

In fact, you've probably managed projects in your current job already.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have applied for project roles before & tailored my CV to complement the positions, but I've never got anywhere with them. It was the usual case of "only shortlisted candidates will be contacted". When I followed up afterwards for feedback, the recruiters always say they were inundated with applications, and as a result can't provide any.

I was the lead engineer for one of my previous employers. Managed most of my R&D projects, but they were fairly low tech. I've hardly any budgeting experience either. After that role, I was part of a large engineering team in a high tech field, but I did have responsibility for my own small projects.

I've looked at grad roles too, and a lot of them only accept graduates that are a max 2 years out of uni.
    I'm also chartered, so I think I might be considered over qualified for some of the positions I've applied for, regardless of my lack of direct experience.

I've read a bit of PMBOK and thought about doing a PMP course and maybe doing the CAPM exam.
    But I find it tricky to adopt the PMP methodology, when you're not using it in your workplace though.

Do you have any project engineering related qualifications? I did a post grad diploma in project management which, while not a great course, helped me move.

Otherwise I'd keep applying. Once you have one job under your belt, it's a lot easier.

What about highlighting the areas you think you're inexperienced at (budgeting you mentioned), and try to upskill where you work now? Then make a move in a number of months?

• Advertisement

I did a short course on project management, but no certification for it. I'm not sure if I want to do another postgrad just on project engineering. The course itself would prob take 2 yrs p/t. I'd consider it, but I've always thought I'd like to do an mba in a couple years and progress into a management role. Perhaps if there was a suitable course that ticked both boxes for project engineering & engineering management...

My current role is a mixed bag. Everything seems to be done ad-hoc & micro managed by the owner. It's not where I want to be and certainly won't provide me an opportunity to develop the skills I'm lacking. But as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How long was the short course?

Have you looked at any springboard or other courses like that?

I know nothing about this course so can't vouch for it but might be of interest
    https://www.ibat.ie/business-management-courses/project-management-diploma-course.html
    http://www.engineersireland.ie/cpd-training/cpd-training/training-calendar/2016/february/project-management-modular-course.aspx

Thanks for the suggestions. The course I did was a 2 day course in England with IMechE.
    I've seen a number of courses similar to engineers Ireland's, but I'm not sure whether they'd carry much weight in a job application. I'm open to correction, but I would assume only certified training would be approved. The diploma sounds better, but would it be enough to get a foot in the door of the industry?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Shy Ted wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. The course I did was a 2 day course in England with IMechE.
    I've seen a number of courses similar to engineers Ireland's, but I'm not sure whether they'd carry much weight in a job application. I'm open to correction, but I would assume only certified training would be approved. The diploma sounds better, but would it be enough to get a foot in the door of the industry?

The PMP prep courses are good with EI but the exam is what you want.

Advertisement