Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Notebook Search

Options
  • 03-12-2015 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I asked a couple of years ago here, where I might get a notebook in my range with rough specs. One user found a brilliant match and it did a great job. So round 2:

Specs:

Minimum
    - Win 10 pre-installed (no upgrading)
    - 8GB RAM+
    - 1TB HDD+
    - Current gen CPU, Broadwell/Skylake/Carizzo
    - 15.6 inch screen
    - Custom sound e.g. Dolby/DTS/Bang & Olufsen
    - Outer materials tougher than plastic, e.g. aluminium

Would like
    - Better life 5 hours+
    - 1080p screen

Budget is up to 630 Euro

I've got two HPs in mind, one with all but aluminium and the other has it.

Any help?

My notes:
    - Acer, beautiful TimelineX series is gone, most Acers have standard crap audio, used to use Dolby
    - Lenovo, a bit ugly most of them and rarely above 4 hours batter life, though they have more Dolby and DTS than others I've seen
    - HP , more possibilities here than with the others, Bang & Olufsen standard audio, some aluminium

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think you're pushing things a lot with your budget. HP's lower end and mid range selection would not be my first choice in brand tbh.

Any links to the machines you're looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/hp-envy-15ah151sa-156-laptop-silver/329016/396.0.0

AMD A10/8/1tb. Aluminium chassis. Bang+Olufsen audio. €629.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I'm a hard bargainer! I love researching for items over €200. I searched far and wide. I got all I wanted in that budget.

There are plenty of notebooks with older CPUs, 4GB RAM etc. in the €500+ range which is a rip off considering what I got.

The Envy range is an upper tier in quality and materials too so I did well I think.

I have the Broadwell in the Macbook Pro I got the other day and I am seeing 14 hrs browsing the web, Apple quote 10 hrs. This is about 40% screen brightness.

The broadwell I5 is very efficient and the iris 6100 is decent for an integrated GPU for the occasional mobile gamer.

Battery life will depend on the size of the battery but 14 hrs compared to 4 max in my piece of crap Dell, with haswell I5. Amazing !

I had a lot of problems with all the 3 Dells I owned and I don't recommend them.

Maybe the 1200 Euro + dells are far better but I wouldn't spend so much on a Dell machine, Never.

Advertisement