Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming/Programming build €2000

Options
  • 03-12-2015 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi Guys.
    I would like to call on your expertise to save me a load of time and annoying learning.
    I'll be going into year 4 of software development next year and need a PC that will be meaty enough to handle the job, that is secondary to the amount of gaming I intend on getting done in the interim period.
    I want a machine that is a.) quiet and b.) upgradeable, ideally with multiple slots for extra video cards in the future and a PSU that will handle the extra cards.
    I also fiddle around a bit with music software like reason and NI reaktor etc... A decent sound card (possibly with 5.1 for gaming) would be the job. I won't be buying a 5.1 speaker system yet though, I would prefer the money to go towards the performance side of the build.
    I have friends that used hardwareversand.de before on the advice of this forum, I am capable of building my own PC but I'm also lazy and I would prefer to have the parts installed and tested and the operating system installed by the company.. Hardwareversand used to offer that service for around 50 quid wasn't it? What is the story there?
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Jamie.

1. What is your budget? [€2000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming (Fallout 4, Arma 3, Any game that comes out in the next 2-4 years please :) ) / Software development (Android, java, VB etc). / Possibly mini home studio.]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [Whatever is optimal for gaming, 24inch I suppose.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [N/A]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [High quality mechanical keyboard / Wireless Card / CD/DVD/BLURAY Writer ]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Visa Debit/Paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? [Within the week]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [No help required..]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Nice java will come in handy for scripting missions in arma3.

2 k is a nice budget.

Should squeeze in a good bit aim for 1440p. Personally I'd keep the GPU mid range. And pick up a pascal or amd equivalent summer time. Just don't see the point spending 6-700 on a high end maxwell /amd now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FlyAgariK

Any suggestions? The geforce 980ti is probably a bit out of my price range I'd say, not sure how to balance the budget though

FlyAgariK wrote: »
    Any suggestions? The geforce 980ti is probably a bit out of my price range I'd say, not sure how to balance the budget though

Well it makes sense on such a budget to go skylake. I'm going to look into it and come back with something.

Just a rough one for now to give you an idea, I'll source better prices. DONT use hardwareversand

CPU
    I7-6700 Box, Sockel 1151
    368,99 €*

Mobo
    ASUS Z170-A (1151, ATX, DDR4)
    157,99 €*( keep for now in case you use k processor)

RAM
    16GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400, CL16-16-16 120,99

Case
    Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, 69,99 €* to be bought from amazon.

Graphics card

MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC, GeForce GTX 970, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 344,99 €*

Power supply
    60-80

Hdd
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gbs
    50,99 €*

Ssd

Crucial SSD 250GB BX100
    E 86,99 €*

CPUFan
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO -
    34,99 €
    Select

Optical drive optional
    LG 14€*

1.317,89 € *

Leaves around 650 for monitor, possible k CPU upgrade ( ridiculous pricing right now on the skylake i7 6600k) soundcard, and bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

As a programmer I will recommend the i75930K (The more cores the better) especially for concurrent programming. I am not sure if you will also be doing GPGPU programming, if you are the more CUDA cores the better.

• Advertisement

RealistSpy wrote: »
    As a programmer I will recommend the i75930K (The more cores the better) especially for concurrent programming. I am not sure if you will also be doing GPGPU programming, if you are the more CUDA cores the better.

If you go with realists advice, the CPU is around 600 euro will just need ti mpve some things around,swap out the mobo(socket 2011) and ram.

Will leave say 300 for monitor soundcard and bits so can leave 1440p for now and you'll be good for 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Just a rough one for now to give you an idea, I'll source better prices. DONT use hardwareversand

CPU
    I7-6700 Box, Sockel 1151
    368,99 €*

Mobo

RAM

Case

Graphics card

Power supply
    60-80

Hdd
    50,99 €*

Ssd

Crucial SSD 250GB BX100
    E 86,99 €*

CPUFan
    34,99 €
    Select

Optical drive optional
    LG 14€*

1.317,89 € *

Leaves around 650 for monitor, possible k CPU upgrade ( ridiculous pricing right now on the skylake i7 6600k) soundcard, and bits.

I can do a really good price any i7 extreme in January, have great feedback here and on adverts

If you go with realists advice, the CPU is around 600 euro will just need ti mpve some things around,swap out the mobo(socket 2011) and ram.

Will leave say 300 for monitor soundcard and bits so can leave 1440p for now and you'll be good for 1080p.

Gaming is going to be my priority with this build, with programming being the second priority.
    I would like the option to be able to upgrade the processor to that model without replacing my motherboard and ram when my priority switches to programming in September again but I don't know if that is possible??
    Upgradability is definitely a priority though, I want to be as future proof as possible.
    Whichever solution that will offer me the best graphical quality and smoothest gaming with the option of upgrading to a more capable processor later in the year basically, ie. I would probably prefer to spend the money on a second graphics card if it would give me better gaming performance, then upgrade the processor later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There won't be a need to upgrade either CPU for a couple of years, I wouldn't worry about that.

You'd need to be at serious stuff to have one of those processors bottlenecking you.

You could pick up a 5820k Haswell e 398 euro.

And an msi 99x sli board 238 euro.

That will cover you for programming without smashing the budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

i think the new range of enthusiast intels arent far off?? I know the leaks for them are definitely starting. If you cant wait till then I'd go for the 5820K with that budget. No point going for the 5930K unless you plan on using the extra PCI-E lanes. Which is only really needed if you are going with tri or quad sli/xfire. very nice budget you could easily go all out and throw in a 980ti. leaving you a little short maybe on the peripherals.

With the price your talking you should defo be aiming for 1440p gaming. some very nice monitors in this range. Just got a pg279q from asus myself and its stunning..... pricey though

1440p is definitely what I want... The 980ti is a very appealing prospect also...
    I don't mind going 200 or so over budget..

FlyAgariK wrote: »
    1440p is definitely what I want... The 980ti is a very appealing prospect also...
    I don't mind going 200 or so over budget..

Look in the selling gear. There is some sweet deals on CPU.

As for 980ti nice card and of you cant wait sure go for it. . But again a mid range maxwell GPU now, then upgrade to pascal. Is more sensible option.

Ok I'm off to spain for a week and i'll order it when I come back. Thanks for yer help.

Seasons greetings all!
    I haven't ordered anything yet... wondering if there is any price difference on any of the components due to january sales??
    Also not sure what monitor to get...
    I will be going for the 980ti for sure.
    Where should I be buying all this gear from?
    Cheers and hope ye all had a good Christmas.

Bar Amazon on hard drives there's not many sales

Don't bother with 980Ti if you're not hitting 1440p

Mindfactory and computer universe are cheap

1440p is definitely what I want, I have no idea what monitor etc i need to have that though...

Any recommendations on quality brands of monitor?

Most of the ones above are grand

• Advertisement

CPU
    I7-6700 Box, Sockel 1151
    368,99 €*

Mobo

RAM

Case

Graphics card

Power supply
    60-80

Hdd
    50,99 €*

Ssd

Crucial SSD 250GB BX100
    E 86,99 €*

CPUFan
    34,99 €
    Select

Optical drive optional
    LG 14€*

1.317,89 € *

Hey Sterling, did you source better prices for me? I'll be going for the 980ti and a 25" monitor. Not sure which sites you were quoting me from apart from amazon...
    Hope you had a good new year.

Mindfactory is probably the cheapest for parts. Use Skinflint to find them

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

IMO I wouldn't buy the 980ti when Polaris and Pascal are being released this Summer. Maybe buy a 380 for now and then upgrade later? You could use the cards to boost post processing effects (in games that support it)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CasualLiKE

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    IMO I wouldn't buy the 980ti when Polaris and Pascal are being released this Summer. Maybe buy a 380 for now and then upgrade later? You could use the cards to boost post processing effects (in games that support it)

Tbh, them cards are gonna cost a bomb when they come out. A card like the Ti won't just devalue over night. High end cards from Nvidia or AMD have high resale value akin to iPhones.

Advertisement