Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Maher fronted group expresses interest in TXFM contract

Options
  • 02-12-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭

It's in the news today, and I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned here.

A group, fronted by Simon Maher, a founder of Phantom FM (and fellow Boardsie), has made an expression of interest to the BAI regarding the renewal of the TXFM licence, which expires next year. Phantom, as you are all aware, was an iconic Dublin pirate station which broadcast for two successful temporary licence periods before going full-time in October 2006.

From RadioToday:

Simon Maher to apply for TXFM Dublin Contract
    TXFM is to face competition for the Dublin City & County, Music-driven Alternative Rock licence currently on-air as TXFM.

Simon Maher, one of the founders of the station (as Phantom FM), has expressed an interest for the Contract, along with the current service operator backed by Communicorp.

Simon has been operating his own rock radio station, 8Radio.com, for the last few years using temporary FM frequencies around the country.

Maher told RadioToday: “From my perspective, this isn’t about an us versus TXFM contest. I have immense respect for many of those who work in TXFM. This is about us putting together a Radio Station and a business that we believe will appeal to the Dublin Radio audience in a time when there are a myriad of alternatives available.

“We believe that the low-cost business model that we are proposing gives the opportunity to have an Independent, focussed and viable radio station catering to a valuable niche. We’re looking forward to the outcome of the BAI meeting on December 17th and we will make further decisions based on that meeting”.

The BAI will now meet on December 15th to consider the expressions of interest received and to determine the next stage in the licensing process for both services.

TXFM, which announced this week that its CEO Peter McPartlin is to leave the station after four years at the helm, originally launched as Phantom FM in 2006.

The BAI has also received just one expression of interest for the quasi-national speech/news service Contract held by Newstalk 106, from current operator Communicorp.

The Contract Awards Committee of the BAI sought Expressions of Interest for both services on the 2nd October last.

Interesting times ahead.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Maybe I'm on my own here in saying this but here goes; he has very little hope in succeeding. Phantom did not work, either with it's slim business model and as a ratings success under Simon and co. and I can't see how a new incarnation of the station is going to work.

The BAI may well knock it back before Xmas; if they don't then the best of luck to him as it will be a hell of a struggle to get back on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Maybe I'm on my own here in saying this but here goes; he has very little hope in succeeding. Phantom did not work, either with it's slim business model and as a ratings success under Simon and co. and I can't see how a new incarnation of the station is going to work.

The BAI may well knock it back before Xmas; if they don't then the best of luck to him as it will be a hell of a struggle to get back on air.

Yeah!

Simon, lovely guy, great radio head, but you can't turn profit playing Tom Waits & Co :):) TXFM will win by default. The reality is, no matter who runs the station the audience will always be small. TXFM could and should be a 6MUSIC for Dublin but the playlist needs expanding. They have some great talent on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Jaysus lads, I really don't like that post title! Perhaps Simon Maher fronted group expresses interest in TXFM contract would be more appropriate.

Just for the process bit, we haven't applied for anything at this stage. When a licence is up for renewal, as TXFM's is next year, the BAI runs an Expression of Interest phase where groups are invited to express their interest in competing with the incumbent for the licence. If no expressions of interest are received (other than the incumbents), then the licence process can be fastracked. If expressions of interest are received then the licence can be publically re-advertised and anybody (not just those who expressed interest) can apply. We've expressed interest and on the 15th December, the BAI will decide whether to go ahead with the full readvertisement process in the New Year. Then we will have to make a decision as to whether we will apply.

Losty, thanks for your faith :) Have to correct you on a couple of bits though. From launch in 2006 until late 2008 when the economy fell off a cliff, Phantom was working well. It was delivering the guts of 60000 listeners a week (its target) and reached about 1.8% in share (just short of target). More importantly, it was bringing in best part of €100k a month in revenue which was not too shabby at all. The business model was wrong though, we had gone in 2004 for a far less "slimmed down" model than previously which needed a good 1.5 mill a year to survive and when the economy crashed, so did the revenue and the model couldn't take the strain. We made our share of mistakes trying to retrieve it but it wasn't to be. That's business, and we learned from it.

No reason not to go back and try again! It's a long shot of course and as LeakyGee says, the audience will always be small but there is the potential there to make a good radio station and build a viable business to match that audience. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise :)

Simon Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, I really don't like that post title! Perhaps Simon Maher fronted group expresses interest in TXFM contract would be more appropriate.

Apologies, Simon. I hope you understand that I didn't mean any malice or ambiguity regarding my post title. I've edited the title accordingly.

On a side note, I wish you and whoever is behind your registration the best of luck. You're a hard working and passionate man, and your contributions to broadcasting in the past, present, and no doubt future, have not gone unnoticed.

Again, apologies, and best of luck.

Thanks StaticNoise and don't worry about it at all! Thanks too for the nice sentiments :)

Simon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Thanks StaticNoise and don't worry about it at all! Thanks too for the nice sentiments :)

Simon

Simon, great to see your comments above. Out of pure curiosity surely the licence (when renewed next year) should be granted to cover a far wider part of the country similar to what Radio X have done in the UK. You can't operate that type of license in Dublin and Dublin County alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

At least he is trying. Alternative music gives great satisfaction to many but is near impossible to make a living out of, from whaterver angle you try. Respect is due to those that, in their own way, try to provide us with great music.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭furryvision

LeakyGee wrote: »
    The reality is, no matter who runs the station the audience will always be small. TXFM could and should be a 6MUSIC for Dublin but the playlist needs expanding. They have some great talent on air.

6 music is a great model but dont think it can be copied here as it's not confined by tight rules regulations and quotas and the fact it was a bit of a digital experiment meant it was given time to grow naturally... whereas here its panic stations when a station doesn't achieve figures immediately

But fair play Simon and best of luck, personally I thought Phantom did a good job all things considered.. big owners eating up more and more stations, all following the same stale formats just makes for a boring, narrow radio landscape. Hopefully they have to at least work for a licence renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I think the chances of them getting the licence are very slim but i do hope they get it. Like Simon said they made mistakes and they learned from them and i think a new Phantom has a better chance of success than TXFM do.
    They have the ability to be the Irish KEXP or as someone said 6music, either way i hope 8radio continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

as much as I have plenty of complaints regarding TXFM (and Phantom in the couple of years before rebranding), if it's a choice between that and something like 8Radio, then I'll keep TXFM thanks. I've found 8Radio to be even more dull and narrow in scope than TXFM.

• Advertisement

bbability wrote: »
    Simon, great to see your comments above. Out of pure curiosity surely the licence (when renewed next year) should be granted to cover a far wider part of the country similar to what Radio X have done in the UK. You can't operate that type of license in Dublin and Dublin County alone?

You make a very fair point bbability! The geographical range issue is a significant one, particularly for a niche broadcaster. It's a matter of balancing the cost of extending transmission etc with the potential returns.

In this case, the licence is Dublin only but as you say it would make sense over time to expand the franchise. At this stage, you can only apply for what's available and in this case, the regulator has decided that this is a "Dublin City and County" franchise area.

Really what it comes down to again is the approach of the regulator - if they judge that a service is worthy of licence (for commercial reasons or cultural reasons or whatever) then it should be a case of working with interested parties to find a business model to make that service work (whether that is via extended franchises, or licence committments or whatever!). That's another days work :)

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

while i see where your coming from, i don't see how it couldn't work. what i think needs to happen is the station be able to implement an ultra low cost business model decided by its management rather then the BAI, which can be adapted and changed to fit certain situations, decided by the management. they know their station, not the BAI. they will know what will work, not the BAI. they should be able to decide how they run their business, not the BAI. if the BAI can have any leeway at all in allowing small stations to decide their own business model that can be adapted to certain situations then they should allow it. i don't mean changing or diluting formats, i mean allowing the model to be changed to fit around the format and make it viable. after all this licence is an alternative format, so that shouldn't be able to be deviated from. the reality is, as this particular licence is a small market, the station will not be able to operate in the same way, nor should be expected to operate in the same way, as the big commercial operators. thats not the fault of the operators, its just simple economics and reality.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I'd be happy just to see the license being taken away from communicorp, I honestly don't see the point in them retaining, it, they have done nothing to promote Txfm and they don't seem interested in growing it.

Give someone else a.chance with the license

From Radio Today, er, today:
    The BAI has confirmed the Music-driven alternative rock sound broadcasting service for Dublin City and County will be fully re-advertised.

It comes as two expressions of interest were received for the licence, one from current operator TXFM and one from Simon Maher.

“The Committee considered each expression of interest on its own merits in the context of the relevant sound broadcasting service and franchise area and having regard to the relevant stator provisions,” BAI said.

“In each case, it was agreed that both of the expressions of interest received had been made in good faith. Therefore, the Committee decided that the provision of a music-driven (alternative rock) sound broadcasting service for the Dublin City and County franchise area should be open to a competitive licensing process.”

In addition, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland will start a ‘Fast Track’ procedure for the licence currently held by Newstalk, as only one expression of interest was received.

Notices will be placed in the local press in the relevant franchise area in this regard in the week commencing 21st December.

- Roy Martin, Radiotoday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

This is going to be interesting. You will have 8radio.com/Old Phantom up against TXFM/New Phantom! And don't forget that there are a number of people on TXFM that Simon would know well, especially John Caddell and Cathal Funge!

I think this particular licensing process could be one of the more exciting ones in a few years, certainly in Dublin. It will be particularly intriguing if Simon's group wins out - who will be in his lineup, etc? If TXFM win, but they consider it a close call, there could be changes there too in the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

What's the timescale of this happening?
    When will we know anything?
    And is there anything we can do to help out?

As per the advertisement placed into the press in December:
    MUSIC-DRIVEN SOUND BROADCASTING SERVICE

In accordance with Section 65(8) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 (“the 2009 Act”),
    the Contract Awards Committee of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (“the
    BAI”) hereby invites applications in writing from any person or body interested in
    securing a sound broadcasting contract for the provision of the following sound
    broadcasting service on the FM band:

MUSIC-DRIVEN (ALTERNATIVE ROCK) SOUND
    BROADCASTING SERVICE FOR DUBLIN CITY AND COUNTY

Programming on the service will have a strong emphasis on new, non-mainstream
    Irish and international music and/or artists (including unsigned artists) of relevance
    to this genre.

Attention is drawn to the relevant criteria laid down in Section 66 of the 2009 Act
    and to the duties that will be imposed on successful applicants under the various
    provisions of the 2009 Act.

Applications must be completed in accordance with the detailed format prescribed
    in the BAI’s Guide to Submissions for the Provision of a Music-driven (Alternative
    Rock) Service for the Dublin City and County Franchise Area, December 2015
    (“the Guide”). The Guide, which also contains other relevant information in respect
    of the application procedure, is available on the BAI’s website (www.bai.ie), or on
    request from the BAI’s offices (email: licensing@bai.ie, or call 01 644 1200).

The closing date for receipt of applications is 12 noon on Tuesday, 29th March
    2016. Applicants should note that the BAI reserves the right not to award a contract.
    Completed applications should be sent to:

Jill Caulfield, Contract Awards, Broadcasting Authority of Ireland,
    2-5 Warrington Place, Dublin D02 XP29. T: 01 6441200

So, nothing really happens until early April. Those who expressed an interest, should they follow though, have time now to lodge their full application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Just for the process bit, we haven't applied for anything at this stage. When a licence is up for renewal, as TXFM's is next year, the BAI runs an Expression of Interest phase where groups are invited to express their interest in competing with the incumbent for the licence. If no expressions of interest are received (other than the incumbents), then the licence process can be fastracked. If expressions of interest are received then the licence can be publically re-advertised and anybody (not just those who expressed interest) can apply. We've expressed interest and on the 15th December, the BAI will decide whether to go ahead with the full readvertisement process in the New Year. Then we will have to make a decision as to whether we will apply.

Losty, thanks for your faith :) Have to correct you on a couple of bits though. From launch in 2006 until late 2008 when the economy fell off a cliff, Phantom was working well. It was delivering the guts of 60000 listeners a week (its target) and reached about 1.8% in share (just short of target). More importantly, it was bringing in best part of €100k a month in revenue which was not too shabby at all. The business model was wrong though, we had gone in 2004 for a far less "slimmed down" model than previously which needed a good 1.5 mill a year to survive and when the economy crashed, so did the revenue and the model couldn't take the strain. We made our share of mistakes trying to retrieve it but it wasn't to be. That's business, and we learned from it.

No reason not to go back and try again! It's a long shot of course and as LeakyGee says, the audience will always be small but there is the potential there to make a good radio station and build a viable business to match that audience. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise :)

Simon Maher

Did you not apply then in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

First thing I thought of when I heard this today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

According to Radio Today, Simon Maher is still hopeful that the BAI will open the license process up again so that 8Radio can apply for it.

The license is too restrictive. Even with the resources at Today FM they were unable to draw listenership. Its needs a root and branch review and the next BAI Board meeting. Multi City/Regional licenses are the only way forward for FM services to make a decent living.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

bbability wrote: »
    The license is too restrictive. Even with the resources at Today FM they were unable to draw listenership. Its needs a root and branch review and the next BAI Board meeting. Multi City/Regional licenses are the only way forward for FM services to make a decent living.

Even with an extended licence to National or Multi-city, the genre would never make money as its dead. It was a good genre 10 years ago when it had more interesting music and artists but its so limited now, its not viable.
    Young people are generally following trends and most of this music is just not trendy anymore. Even at its peak back in 2006 it was never commercially viable.

It needs a whole new genre which can include a proposal for a alternative music show possibly but even at that I would be hiding late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Even with an extended licence to National or Multi-city, the genre would never make money as its dead. It was a good genre 10 years ago when it had more interesting music and artists but its so limited now, its not viable.
    Young people are generally following trends and most of this music is just not trendy anymore. Even at its peak back in 2006 it was never commercially viable.

It needs a whole new genre which can include a proposal for a alternative music show possibly but even at that I would be hiding late at night.

Which genre? Alternative/Indie? I can't agree at all that it is dead. I think a well managed station that has a national or multi-city licence can make a profit but i do think it shouldn't limit it's self too much on the music it plays. A bit like 6music where they play alt/indie but also just play good music they like. 8radio have gone down this route it seems. I think the station has to go for the active music listeners, people who are always looking to hear new music. People like this normally sway towards alt/indie but wouldn't limit themselves to this genre.
    Maybe i'm contradicting myself a little and agreeing with you but i suppose my point is that a 6music type station could be very successful in Ireland and i think Simon Maher and the people behind 8Radio could be the ones to do this.

You are absolutely spot on about the music. In general radio stations get the blame for repeating songs but the reality is there is less on offer than there was 10 years ago. I always thought the purpose of Phantom (or one of them at least) was to promote new music that probably would not have made it to the cutting room at a HOT AC station. Ian Brown released an album called My Way. Phantom had Stelify and Just Like You on the playlist. It was a couple of months before mainstream radio dared to play one of the songs. Instead they hit the "safety" button and play F.E.A.R that was two or three years old. Its not good we don't have a station bringing the listener cutting edge music.

There is only two types of radio, good and bad.

As I write this I am listening to Radio X. Some people might say a watered down version of the old XFM but its sounding really good and they seem to have struck a balance with old and new music. MUSE (new song) is currently playing, 20 minutes ago it was Oasis and Slide Away.
    More Music Variety comes to mind.

Advertisement