Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calor Gaz cylinder

Options
  • 01-12-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hello, I have a near empty large 11Kg yellow Calor gaz cylnder that I would like to exchange for the smaller 4.5Kg yellow cylinder as I cannot lift the large type cylnder anymore.

Do I simply bring the old cylnder along to my stockist and buy a 4.45kg refill or do I need to pay a deposit for the small cylnder?

Surely I can give back in the old unit and get a small one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Agent 47 ,
    Most stockists will swop a cylinder for a different size / type no problem .
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Hello, I have a near empty large 11Kg yellow Calor gaz cylnder that I would like to exchange for the smaller 4.5Kg yellow cylinder as I cannot lift the large type cylnder anymore.

Do I simply bring the old cylnder along to my stockist and buy a 4.45kg refill or do I need to pay a deposit for the small cylnder?

Surely I can give back in the old unit and get a small one?

Be careful about swapping them, the smaller ones are very hard to get sometimes down the country if you run out you could be stuck.

I was able to pick up cylinders for free at a bring center so if you can get a spare empty cylinder do then at least you can carry two cylinders if you have room.

My gas locker is small and it was struggle to get the smaller yellow cylinder in and once in I couldn't lift it to check the weight.

I switched to camping Gaz by two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Definitely worth asking if someone could lift it in for you before you pay, most places will have someone to help. The smaller cylinder works out 1.5 times the price for the gas and obviously you have to change it more than twice as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Be careful about swapping them, the smaller ones are very hard to get sometimes down the country if you run out you could be stuck.

I was able to pick up cylinders for free at a bring center so if you can get a spare empty cylinder do then at least you can carry two cylinders if you have room.

My gas locker is small and it was struggle to get the smaller yellow cylinder in and once in I couldn't lift it to check the weight.

I switched to camping Gaz by two.

I was thinking of getting an empty camping gaz bottle (the 907) at 35€ from halfords and going that route instead. Especially as intend to travel outside the country. Is that a fair price for the large Camping Gaz bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Agent_47 wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting an empty camping gaz bottle (the 907) at 35€ from halfords and going that route instead. Especially as intend to travel outside the country. Is that a fair price for the large Camping Gaz bottle?
    No they are 25 in churchtown stores Dublin 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

No they are 25 in churchtown stores Dublin 12

You'll find them for free at most council "amenity" sites. I've picked up a few, some of them half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Camping Gaz is a horrendously expensive way to buy gas.

An 11.34 kg bottle of Butane retailing for about €33 costs about €1.47 per Ltr / €2.91 Per Kg.

A 907 bottle of Camping Gaz retailing for about €25 contains 2.91kg of butane costing €4.63 per Ltr / €9.20 per Kg.

The cheapest option is to get a fixed tank and buy it (propane) at a service station for about €0.69 / Ltr

Aside from the above costs, the use of butane is not recommended for campers due to its limitations in cold weather, propane is the recommended gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The majority of people are using butane though. Most people wouldn't be using their camper in the type of weather that would affect butane.

*Kol* wrote: »
    The majority of people are using butane though. Most people wouldn't be using their camper in the type of weather that would affect butane.

Everyone to their own.

However, if propane is recommended by a manufacturer using butane could cause appliances not to run optimally.
    Secondly, all it takes for butane to stop gassing is nice frosty night, the air temperature doesn't need to go much below 2 or 3 degrees C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I think that was discussed before and the consensus was that the difference between using butane and propane was negligible for any appliance.

• Advertisement

*Kol* wrote: »
    I think that was discussed before and the consensus was that the difference between using butane and propane was negligible for any appliance.

Probably, but the main difference is in the gassing temperature.
    Butane will stop gassing on a typical Irish frosty night/morning 4 degrees C while Propane will continue to gas down to -42 degrees C, providing a supply to heating and cooking appliances.

For those planning only warm weather motorhoming it's not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

niloc1951 wrote: »
    For those planning only warm weather motorhoming it's not an issue.

It was 4 degrees last July in Dublin.

I use butane because the bottle is inboard. Would definitely have to use propane otherwise as we are out from March to October.

I've seen a german bulkhead regulator that required 0.6bar minimum too so you could be talking carbon monoxide problems at 8 degrees.

Low gas pressure can be scary:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95082035

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95242543&postcount=10

Advertisement