Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a better software developer

Options
  • 01-12-2015 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I am an average Java developer and want to get better. I am in a job where the development work is limited so I have to practice/get better on my own.

I think I need to start coding in my own time and was thinking about reading a book and coding the examples.

I already am Oracle certified but I'm thinking of getting Java 8 certified as a way to get me back into programming.

Alternatively, I was thinking of buying Clean Code or Code Complete and working my way through one.

What do you fellow developers think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've found http://exercism.io/ a great way of getting you to think about common problems in different ways.

Even if the problems themselves are relatively straightforward, you have the freedom to think about them in new ways and review other people's solutions to see if there were other methods you weren't aware of.

It's just a pity the exercise library is still pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Code Complete is a great book - do get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks for that Seamus, may come in handy to brush up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

There's also hackerrank which I think is an excellent way to keep your skills sharp.

Advertisement