Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed flight query

Options
  • 01-12-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My Aer Lingus flight was delayed by 2.5 hours on Sunday night. I'll had a quick look at Aer Lingus website, but they only have a claim form for a cancelled flight.

Has anyone had problems with claiming for delayed Short Haul flights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I would imagine that you would need to have been delayed much longer or have proof of a missed connection or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

You can only claim compensation if the delay means you arrive at your destination more than three hours later than the original scheduled arrival time as far as I know. They will likely claim that the delay was due to 'extraordinary circumstances' i.e. bad weather at arrival or departure airport etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Hi,

My Aer Lingus flight was delayed by 2.5 hours on Sunday night. I'll had a quick look at Aer Lingus website, but they only have a claim form for a cancelled flight.

Has anyone had problems with claiming for delayed Short Haul flights?

Three hours is the starting point.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I've searched on www.flightrights.ie and it states for

"for all flights less than 1500kms (short haul), the delay must be greater than 2 hours."

This is Commission for Aviation Regulation website, so have they gotten it wrong?

Also, while the weather in Dublin was bad, the weather in Birmingham was not. The reason for the flight delay in Birmingham, was because the Dublin outbound plane had not yet landed in Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I've searched on www.flightrights.ie and it states for

"for all flights less than 1500kms (short haul), the delay must be greater than 2 hours."

This is Commission for Aviation Regulation website, so have they gotten it wrong?

Also, while the weather in Dublin was bad, the weather in Birmingham was not. The reason for the flight delay in Birmingham, was because the Dublin outbound plane had not yet landed in Birmingham.

Yes you are correct. If you read through the rights, you are entitled to compensation in the form of 'care and assistance' after 2 hours and monetary compensation if you flight lands over 3 hours late.

"Following a 2009 European Court ruling, you are now entitled to compensation if you arrive at your destination 3 hours or more after the scheduled arrival time unless the air carrier can prove that the delay was the result of extraordinary circumstances"

I would expect that the flight out of Dublin was delayed due to bad weather which had a knock on effect on your flight, which would be considered an extraordinary circumstance. You are probably best to contact Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Claiming what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Claiming what? :confused:

Some sort of monetary reimbursement for delays and inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think your entitled to around €10 for such a delay I am afraid, it's only tiny money and usually in the form of vouchers that can be used for shops within the terminal for food/drink etc.

Advertisement