Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance while away on a long trip

Options
  • 01-12-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a company that will continue full cover of the house while away from home on a long trip.
    I've seen that in the UK it is possible to get 90, 120 or even 180 days for an extra premium.
    Our company has down-rated us to fire only while unoccupied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

After how long is your insurance downgraded? It's normally 90 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

I've been struggling to find 90 days! My lot allow 30 at full cover. If it is over 30, then day 1 onwards is fire only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Could you insure your house as a holiday home , a little more expensive but probably cover you for longer periods of absence or get someone to housesit while you're away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

House sitting is probably the best option, but you need a responsible person!
    In the UK, motorhome owners can get upto 180 days for an additional premium; why not here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I've 45 days on my insurance. when we go way for a longer period one of our children or siblings will come and stay in the house for a couple of days/nights about once a month or sometimes more frequently.
    The policy specifies that the 45 days is continuous unoccupation, so when they lock up and go home a new 45 days starts.

BTW, any person who stays there with our permission will do but AFAIK they must not be a paying guest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement