Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pochard Survey - Winter 2015/2016

Options
  • 01-12-2015 12:10pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.ducksg.org/activities/compoch/

During January 2016 we are seeking participation from waterbird counters and bird watchers across Europe and North Africa to help collect sex ratio data for Common Pochard. We are asking counters to simply record the number of males and females in flocks. This can be carried out as part of the next International Waterbird Census (16th/17th January 2016) or, if preferable, during a separate visit some other time in January 2016. We also welcome sex ratio counts from bird watchers who may happen to see Pochard flocks whilst out bird watching. The sex of every single bird in the flock is not required; however, please do try to obtain as large a sample as possible. The main data collection period for this assessment is taking place in January 2016, however we do also welcome sex ratio data throughout the winter too.

Please record:

The total flock size
    Number of birds assessed
    Number of males
    Number of females

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Thanks for that. I live more in the south of the country and rarely see any pochard around our way but I might try a few spots around here that hold tufties might get one or 2 with them...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

stevensi wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I live more in the south of the country and rarely see any pochard around our way but I might try a few spots around here that hold tufties might get one or 2 with them...

I never see them either, but I did manage to find one on Lough Ree the other day, in with a flock of Tufties, so its well worth looking alright!

Advertisement