Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is laminate compatible with suspended timber floor?

Options
  • 30-11-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on renovating the suspended timber floor on the ground floor of my house.

The existing floorboards aren't in the best condition so will probably opt for new flooring altogether. I'm just wondering if laminate flooring can be laid over joists?

The boards seem a lot flimsier than real wood so I have my doubts that it would work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No, you'd be laying on a flat surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

spectre wrote: »
    I'm planning on renovating the suspended timber floor on the ground floor of my house.

The existing floorboards aren't in the best condition so will probably opt for new flooring altogether. I'm just wondering if laminate flooring can be laid over joists?

The boards seem a lot flimsier than real wood so I have my doubts that it would work.

No they can't
    A proper job depending on budget would be to
    remove the flooring
    Insulate the joist space
    Osb3 board out the deck
    Vapour barrier
    Lay floating foam
    Laminate floor

Or rip the whole lot up and insulate and concrete screed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

.....or if the budget is prohibitive, and the existing are structurally sound (aesthetics unimportant - but critical there's no gaping holes, heavy flexing or rot), just 3mm underlay foam over existing boards and lay new laminate flooring on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

Thanks for the replies. I want to do a proper job so it'll most likely be one of the two options Bonzo D outlined. Cheers.

Advertisement