Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Foreign Register

Options
  • 30-11-2015 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

John Grenham describes the foreign register as follows: "From 1864 the GRO was required to keep a separate register of births, marriages and deaths of Irish subjects abroad, where such births were notified to the relevant British consul. There is no index to this register, which contains only 208 entries. It is held in GRO headquarters in Roscommon."

What I would like to know is has anybody ever had access to it for genealogical purposes? Could I ring up the GRO in Roscommon and ask them to look for a certain registration? The reason I'm asking is I think my great-grandparents marriage is included in it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, you can just ask them to check it in Roscommon.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Thanks pinkypinky. Do they charge for a search of this register?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I believe there is the standard €2 search charge. Best to ring and check. And then report back please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I believe there is the standard €2 search charge. Best to ring and check. And then report back please.

Thanks. And I will. :)

The GRO in Roscommon told me that they hold some years of events registered abroad and that for a search to be made, you fill out the regular application forms and they will then check it for you. And if the event your looking for isn't found, no charge will be made.

• Advertisement
Advertisement