Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentenced to Death for alleged Atheism

Options
  • 30-11-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭

With all this recent talk of the horrors of ISIL, this story in the news almost slipped by me, except that I saw a reference to it on another thread on Boards.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/20/saudi-court-sentences-poet-to-death-for-renouncing-islam

The man in question is a Palestinian poet/artist and has been sentenced to beheading for allegedly renouncing Islam, and being an atheist.

What makes the case even more interesting is that he denies this, says he's still a Muslim. There appears to be no evidence against him except allegations from Saudi religious police that he had promoted atheism. And interpreting some of his poetry as containing promotion of atheism and blasphemy.

It sort of puts all the other discussions about the Angelus or the pre-Star Wars prayer ad into perspective. Not a "rogue state" but one whom Enda KEnny last year congratulated on being elected to the UN human rights council.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

donaghs wrote: »
    With all this recent talk of the horrors of ISIL, this story in the news almost slipped by me, except that I saw a reference to it on another thread on Boards.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/20/saudi-court-sentences-poet-to-death-for-renouncing-islam

The man in question is a Palestinian poet/artist and has been sentenced to beheading for allegedly renouncing Islam, and being an atheist.

What makes the case even more interesting is that he denies this, says he's still a Muslim. There appears to be no evidence against him except allegations from Saudi religious police that he had promoted atheism. And interpreting some of his poetry as containing promotion of atheism and blasphemy.

It sort of puts all the other discussions about the Angelus or the pre-Star Wars prayer ad into perspective. Not a "rogue state" but one whom Enda KEnny last year congratulated on being elected to the UN human rights council.

....which would have been fair enough if he had been falling around laughing while doing so.

Essentially the guy has annoyed somebody and is now paying the price. In the unlikely event the charges have any merit, its a coincidence. Vile state run by some vile people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Enda in Saudi. I wonder if he went to the stadium that day they beheaded dozens of people at one event?

image.jpg
    1b72bfdb-f3b6-4b7f-b76e-70bee27a2169.jpg

FWIW, we did notice the plight of that poor Palestinian guy, it came up in the hazards thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

donaghs wrote: »
    It sort of puts all the other discussions about the Angelus or the pre-Star Wars prayer ad into perspective.

To me, yes, yes it does. But probably not in the way you had hoped.

The perspective I have is that I am very very glad to live in a country where we can hold religion at bay (and we still have to, as evangelising is part of most religion's M.O.) - the alternative being the kind of country where religion becomes all pervasive, loses the run of itself and people are killed/tortured/harrassed/shunned for not following or rejecting said religion. Which is why the aforementioned discussions are genuinely important, actually.

Advertisement