Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn node.js in college

Options
  • 30-11-2015 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's any college in Ireland where they teach node.js?

On Sligo IT, for example, they have a web development course, but nothing about node.
    I've looked over Athlone Institute of Technology and Cork IT - same, they have web development, but no word about node.js.

I'm only interested in colleges, not different other schools, private lessons, etc.

Thank you.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You probably won't find it.

Worry more about what concepts they are going to teach you and worry less about what specific frameworks and languages they'll use to teach it.

If you're going to college because you want to learn a specific development framework/language that is the current flavour of the month you are wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Talisman

There's nothing special about Node.js once you grasp the fundamentals.

Traditional thread-based systems are like an appointment the doctor/dentist. You show up at the surgery for the appointment and discover there is a queue. Somebody ahead of you in the queue is taking up more than their scheduled time and the whole system is backed up. If there's only one doctor/dentist you could be waiting a while.

Event-based systems are like a trip to McDonalds. You show up and place your order, the order is passed to somebody else to fulfil. You pay for your order and step aside so the cashier can take the next person's order. When the order is completed you pick it up and you're away. In the meantime the cashier has taken several other orders.

Node.js is event-driven and the asynchronous aspect would be a total mind f%ck for students who already struggle with the fundamentals of traditional thread-based systems.

For this reason I would expect that you will not find it on an undergraduate college course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gheghici

Thank you for the replies.

I don't want to learn node, I want to find a college where the students learn it. I would like to involve a college into a node.js project I have (using an Innovation Voucher).
    That's why it's important for me to find that specific college.

Wish you all a nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

gheghici wrote: »

I don't want to learn node, I want to find a college where the students learn it. I would like to involve a college into a node.js project I have (using an Innovation Voucher).

Wish you all a nice day!

That's an entirely different kettle of fish. A college doesn't necessarily need to teach node.js to students for you to find an institution that will tackle your project. All they need is one person/researcher/post-grad familiar with node.js. And to be honest, I expect most would claim competency with node.js just to get that sweet sweet Enterprise Ireland money. I've heard horror stories surrounding the Innovation Voucher scheme with regards to taking on projects that the institution has no realistic chance of completing properly.

If I were you - I'd just fire an email out to the institutions near me and see what they have to say. Most will just invite you in to have a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gheghici

Aswerty wrote: »
    If I were you - I'd just fire an email out to the institutions near me and see what they have to say. Most will just invite you in to have a meeting.

I will do so. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Applied Computing WIT teach it in 3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

gheghici wrote: »

Wish you all a nice day!

The students learn it in every college - it's just that the college itself doesn't teach it, just as they don't teach about 99% of the technologies the students use. I suspect you have very little understanding of how students use technology. The reality is that there are thousands of different technologies so it's completely impossible to teach them all. Instead the teaching part focuses on concepts with perhaps a couple of samples, while the students select from what's available and use whatever tickles their fancy that particular day to achieve whatever task they're addressing. It's not unusual t see projects with 20 or more "things" in the mix!

Approach the college with your idea and ask if you can address the class - it's a bit late now, but a reasonable 4th year student could have taken a node project on for their final-year project (they're all probably well along now). Instead, try the 3rd years to see if there's an opportunity for you to work together.

BTW, don't expect them to be your personal software dev team: they may be young & inexperienced, but that doesn't make them stupid.

Advertisement