Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Describe your day

Options
  • 30-11-2015 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Bit of fun here but curious too!!
    I'm a mum of a toddler and newborn, and some days I struggle with ideas on what to do! I hate being stuck in but the weather isn't great. My toddler has special needs so needs a lot of attention and my newborn is, well a newborn!
    Cmon mums, share your ideas!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I try and get out for a walk first thing most days, no matter what the weather is like. Oilskins are my lifesaver :D We either have a quick brekkie and out the door or, more often than not, I chuck the kids straight in the buggy after dressing and I give them toast and fruit on the go. I get my own walk in and then let the toddler out for his jaunt. Sometimes we go to the park or the nearby parent groups or occasionally soft play. If I have anything to get done in town or the shops, I'll try and get it done in the morning too.

When we get home, the kids will play in the sittingroom while I get some cleaning/food prep done. I am lucky that they are quiet enough kids (well, the toddler is at least) and they play nicely together. Our downstairs is fairly open plan so I can easily keep an eye on them anyway. The kids have lunch between 1230--130 and then go for their nap. This is my downtime. I usually have lunch and a cuppa in peace and arsé about on the internet or watch tv. The toddler will sleep for 3 hours but the baby will only stay down for 90 mins max before she's up again looking to feed and play. I have some one on one play time with her, if I'm lucky, she might play quietly on her own for a little while. Then the toddler gets back up and there's more play time. At 5, the baby goes for another snooze and I have some one on one time with the toddler, we usually have quiet time reading stories or cuddle on the couch watching tv. Then daddy comes home and all hell breaks loose for a while with the excitement. Dinner between 6-7 pm and kids in bed at 8. And then we do a collective sigh of relief and either go to bed and watch tv or stay up and play board games. Rock n roll lifestyle :pac:

I try to get any necessary outings done in the morning because it interferes less with the children's nap routines. In the summer when the days are longer, I sometimes take them to the nearby park after their nap, or else we might go for a second walk when daddy gets home. In winter though, we usually stay in once it gets dark. It can make the hours drag being stuck inside for a large chunk of the day. I try to limit the amount of time the tv is on, I find the toddler behaves better when it's not on, but sometimes I am just lazy and I leave it run :o My OH takes them to his parents for a few hours twice a week and that gives me a great break :D

Play--wise, I rotate their toys so that they don't become bored of them. I let the toddler 'help out' with things I'm doing and we play games where I'll give him 'grown up' things, plates/cups/clothes/hairbrushes etc and show him how to use them. He likes drawing and colouring and being read to. I play guitar and piano so we have sing songs (I get great mileage out of this, keeps them both entertained for aaages). We do imagination play with the little animal and doll figures. The baby is always happy to play along or just watch what we are doing. The things that keep them occupied the longest are the music and the playing with grown up stuff. It can be fairly tedious doing the same things day in day out but the routine helps and I find it easier this way than trying to be on the go outside the house with the kids all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Funny how the TV affects their humour - my little man is the exact same. The more fresh air and playgrounds the better! He had this thing where he will not leave the rain cover on the buggy, kicks it off. So I now have him in full wet gear and wellies anywhere we go! Lol

Advertisement