Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Social Work - TCD vs UCD - basic differences in course content

Options
  • 29-11-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Mods: apologies if this is somewhere else, I have spent nearly an hour hunting for similar threads and cannot seem to find a recent thread (or any) on this topic.

Trying to find out more about the fundamental differences between TCD and UCD Masters in Social Work courses.
    I know UCC (for example) would be more reflective-based and friends going there at the moment do a lot of reflective work. I know TCD doesn't do as much of that (from talking to a friend doig that course. I don't know anyone in UCD.
    Also, I know from previous reading that TCD and UCD did diverge at one point in their course principles, but that was years ago, so am not sure if since then they have become more similar again.
    I can see the course topics/etc online, but it's more the ethos/underlying factors that I'm wondering about, and I guess the general "why pick one over the other" as right now for me I'd be applying for both, but leaning towards TCD as it's easer for me to travel to, plus cheaper. I know at the end of the day as long as you get the qualification, CORU accredits you, but I guess it's more of what I'll be doing for the two years' in college that I'm wondering about too.

any feedback would be greatly received!
    thanks
    Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

lisnsooz wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Mods: apologies if this is somewhere else, I have spent nearly an hour hunting for similar threads and cannot seem to find a recent thread (or any) on this topic.

Trying to find out more about the fundamental differences between TCD and UCD Masters in Social Work courses.
    I know UCC (for example) would be more reflective-based and friends going there at the moment do a lot of reflective work. I know TCD doesn't do as much of that (from talking to a friend doig that course. I don't know anyone in UCD.
    Also, I know from previous reading that TCD and UCD did diverge at one point in their course principles, but that was years ago, so am not sure if since then they have become more similar again.
    I can see the course topics/etc online, but it's more the ethos/underlying factors that I'm wondering about, and I guess the general "why pick one over the other" as right now for me I'd be applying for both, but leaning towards TCD as it's easer for me to travel to, plus cheaper. I know at the end of the day as long as you get the qualification, CORU accredits you, but I guess it's more of what I'll be doing for the two years' in college that I'm wondering about too.

any feedback would be greatly received!
    thanks
    Lisa

I would ring them both and speak to the coordinators as they will be more than happy to outline their ethos and how the course is run and how they engage students in learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daveycrocket

I applied for the MSW in trinity (don't qualify for UCD) does anyone know what happens next? I'm quite nervous because I have heard they test you on a few things during the application process. They have already contacted my references

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Hi daveycrocket

That's a shame about UCD - i thought it would have been easier to get into UCD as the hours were less (which has been my challenge). For TCD - last year about 3 weeks after the application deadline, i got an email from the dept inviting me to interview. That was held during reading week (this year that's 29-Feb - 4-Mar, last year it was the last week Feb). Then we heard about 3 weeks later again whether we were successful or not (was around the 13th or so march).

I don't know what the timescale is for UCD, but I imagine they're all around the same time with results around the same time as people tend to apply to a few places, wait till offers are out and then decide, or figure out applications with waiting lists/etc. I applied to TCD, and UCD this year also. TCD is my preference as it's easier for me to get to than UCD, and I did another course in there last year in the social work dept so it's more homey for me :-) But because I have only about 980 hours, i'm at more a disadvantage in TCD than UCD (which only requires up to 400).

Best of luck and let me know if you need anymore tips.
    Lisa

Hi daveycrocket

That's a shame about UCD - i thought it would have been easier to get into UCD as the hours were less (which has been my challenge). For TCD - last year about 3 weeks after the application deadline, i got an email from the dept inviting me to interview. That was held during reading week (this year that's 29-Feb - 4-Mar, last year it was the last week Feb). Then we heard about 3 weeks later again whether we were successful or not (was around the 13th or so march).

I don't know what the timescale is for UCD, but I imagine they're all around the same time with results around the same time as people tend to apply to a few places, wait till offers are out and then decide, or figure out applications with waiting lists/etc. I applied to TCD, and UCD this year also. TCD is my preference as it's easier for me to get to than UCD, and I did another course in there last year in the social work dept so it's more homey for me :-) But because I have only about 980 hours, i'm at more a disadvantage in TCD than UCD (which only requires up to 400).

Best of luck and let me know if you need anymore tips.
    Lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daveycrocket

lisnsooz wrote:

lisnsooz wrote:

How did your interview for ucd go? I have my trinity interview on the 2nd :/ me nervvves

• Advertisement

UCD went OK but its hard to know as was a group interview and I was the only one not working full time in the social area so was mad trying to emphasise my transferable soft skills from IT! So who knows - should find out in the next couple weeks hopefully!

TCD - what time are you on? I'm on that day too in the morning! If it's like last year, there'll be a member of the staff plus an external professional from the area. And I found it to be more like a job interview really - was about 25-30 mins or so if I recall correctly. I enjoyed that interview last year much more than UCD :-) It was nice to chat to the two TCD interviewers and talk about where I came from etc. They asked me about what authors I liked btw - so be ready with a name and reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neola

Just got offered a place in UCD and curious does anyone know is it a 4 or 5 day week in MA Social Work

Hi Neola,
    If you check the offer letter - says it's a 5-day fulltime course. Congratulations!

TCD is 4-days mon-thurs. Are you interviewing there? I got UCD offer, but am doing TCD interview next week. Gonna be tight to decide what to do!

Hi Neola
    FYI - I'm such a nerd that I sat down and checked the current 1st year's schedule/modeules etc on the UCD website. It looks like in UCD, they have Weds off dueing weeks 1-12 (ie - 1st term). So maybe it's not as full-time, but the thing is - when you're on placement, presumably that IS mon-fri.

cheers
    LIsa

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neola

Hi lisnsooz
    Yes i found that also, i asked as at our interview they implied 4 days but as you said the offer letter stated 5 so i was unsure so thanks for getting back to me.
    Did you have Trinity interview yet, i decided to accept UCD as didn't want to deal with any more interviews ways to stressful for me :-)

• Advertisement

Hi neola,
    yep am still going to do the TCD one and then see if anyone can tell me before the 8th if I stand a chance. TCD would suit me much better as I know the folk in the dept and all that, having done a postgrad dip in there, and also, I live north inner city, so commuting time/money would be a lot less, so have to consider all of that when I'm back being a poor student!!

I hadn't expected to get UCD actually, so hadn't done much research at all - was looking at the timetables and modules of the current course though, and am quite excited now to get going on all this. 6 months to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hansg93

Hey guys.

I was just wondering do any of you know the layout of the TCD interview as in any specific things to know about before going in? I have been studing for it but as you all know its so broad and theres so many things they could ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm very anxious about it all! Thanks! :-)

Hi hansg93 - I found lat year it was more like a job interview. Went through my CV and work experience. Talked about the course I was doing at the time. What subjects did I like in it, what sort of books/author was interesting. it seemed like they were more trying to get the measure of me, and another friend felt that also when he interviewed in there.
    I had actually done a regular job interview the day before, so was in the zone of selling myself, and I found it was quite chatty and informal.
    Last year it was a lecturer and an extern working in the area.

hansg93 - how did you get on? great we'll know by Monday. Last year it took nearly three weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ericamx

neola wrote: »
    Hi lisnsooz
    Yes i found that also, i asked as at our interview they implied 4 days but as you said the offer letter stated 5 so i was unsure so thanks for getting back to me.
    Did you have Trinity interview yet, i decided to accept UCD as didn't want to deal with any more interviews ways to stressful for me :-)
    Hi neola
    I have also accepted a place on the F/T social work course. So I will see you in Sept 😊 just wondering did you get any more information on the course ie modules and times?
    Thanks
    Erica

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Abiola1993

Hey Guys,

For UCD-did anyone pay the 500 euros yet??

you had to accept by last night I thought? Did you not have to pay the deposit (500) in order to secure?
    I didn't take UCD as I got the TCD offer in in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 catsNdogs

Hi there
    I am also starting the SW masters in September. Very excited and nervous. How are you all feeling about it?

it's been years of trying to get to this stage catsNdogs (wasn't able to get the social science course done till recently), so I cannot wait to get cracking! Where are you going to?

Going to UCD. I didn't have the hours for TCD but im finishing up social science in UCD now so at least it's familiar territory. Id say the course work is pretty much the same though, they will be pretty hardcore but ultimately worth it!

• Advertisement

yeah should be fun! that's great you're finishing social science at the moment though - you'll have good habits to keep going with the study and uni work!

Yeah, i hope so! There are a few from my year doing the trinity masters so you will be in good company.

Advertisement