Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year visa to the US

Options
  • 29-11-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering has anyone done this with an engineering degree and is it easy to get work? I've heard the regulations are fairly strict. I have a few interviews for jobs here (esb, analog devices, Accenture) but I'd love to travel for a few years.

I'm a final year Electrical and Electronic Engineering student and should graduate with a decent 2.1.

Any advice is much appreciated and I'm sorry if it's the wrong forum.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Hi all, just wondering has anyone done this with an engineering degree and is it easy to get work? I've heard the regulations are fairly strict. I have a few interviews for jobs here (esb, analog devices, Accenture) but I'd love to travel for a few years.

I'm a final year Electrical and Electronic Engineering student and should graduate with a decent 2.1.

Any advice is much appreciated and I'm sorry if it's the wrong forum.

Thanks in advance

I did it with an EE degree, but I went through IAESTE so I had the job secured before I left. Getting a job isn't easy but it's not impossible either.

Salary was a pittance starting out since it's an 'internship' but plenty to get by. Worked out for me in the long run, I got sponsored for a H1B by a different company after my J1 and just left them this week after 4 years, start the new gig Tuesday.

I had an interview back home that resulted in a job offer when my J1 visa was finished, although I turned it down to pursue the chance here, so I don't think the experience turned Irish employers off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭BeardedBadger

Is it worth taking the chance on? I'd love to do it but I guess the fear is holding me back. I have 5 months experience with analog devices though so I'm sure that'd stand to something. Getting on to my manager too to see if he could get some sort of a transfer over there for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Is it worth taking the chance on? I'd love to do it but I guess the fear is holding me back. I have 5 months experience with analog devices though so I'm sure that'd stand to something. Getting on to my manager too to see if he could get some sort of a transfer over there for me too

Fear of what? What do you have to lose? The way I see it it is a limited time offer and its much harder to do if you're not eligible for the J1. If you're not interested in going to the US (and not everyone is) then fair enough it's not some sort of Eutopia by any means but if you're half interested this is the best chance you'll likely ever have to do it.

Make out a list of the pros and cons if that helps. What is your area of interest?

Probably power. I'd love to get work with Analog devices in Boston or san Jose (or anywhere to be honest). I guess you're right I have nothing to lose and it probably is my only opportunity to travel as I think I'd be inclined to settle if I took a job here.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Your best bet is to make some applications, see how they pan out.
    If you get an offer then you can weight up your options and make the call.

• Advertisement

KeithTS wrote: »
    Your best bet is to make some applications, see how they pan out.
    If you get an offer then you can weight up your options and make the call.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do they have something similar to gradireland in the US? Or anything that might make searching a bit easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You won't get a job here in the US unless you are here in person. Unfortunately if you really want to come out you're going to have to pass on the easy route which will undoubtedly come knocking when one of your interviews is a success and take the plunge. Trust me it is a lot harder than you'd think to run out on a cushy 30k a year gig in Dublin/Limerick and go foreign but best of luck with whatever path you choose.

Advertisement