Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD Installation error ASUS Laptop

Options
  • 29-11-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue i am having and have a fix for it.

I bought a new Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB for my work laptop.
    My work Laptop is a ASUS A53E.

I plugged the SSD into another laptop(Which is a HP) in order to install Windows 10 on it along with some other software.
    This all worked fine and the SSD drive worked on the HP laptop.

When I plugged the SSD into my work laptop and switched it on, I get an error message:
    "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I have made sure in the BIOS, that the SSD is the 1st Boot option but still no luck.
    I have searched for the answer, but a lot of answers seem to be the BIOS change.
    Did anyone ever have this issue and was able to resolve it?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Goose81

dodgystats wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue i am having and have a fix for it.

I bought a new Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB for my work laptop.
    My work Laptop is a ASUS A53E.

I plugged the SSD into another laptop(Which is a HP) in order to install Windows 10 on it along with some other software.
    This all worked fine and the SSD drive worked on the HP laptop.

When I plugged the SSD into my work laptop and switched it on, I get an error message:
    "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I have made sure in the BIOS, that the SSD is the 1st Boot option but still no luck.
    I have searched for the answer, but a lot of answers seem to be the BIOS change.
    Did anyone ever have this issue and was able to resolve it?

Thanks,

On Windows 7 onward the installation is linked to the exact hardware components of the computer.

Hence nowadays if you re-install you dont need the keys because your bios and pc configuration is stored on their servers.

If you paid for the copy of windows then dont really know what you can do, its been installed and linked to a different computer and is now registered with that.

You cant just swap hard drives with windows installations around on different pc's

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The windows 10 installation was done with a work license and I needed to enter a key but you could be right as I validated the license on the HP Laptop.

Ill have to check to see if we can remove the License association with the HP PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Goose81

dodgystats wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The windows 10 installation was done with a work license and I needed to enter a key but you could be right as I validated the license on the HP Laptop.

Ill have to check to see if we can remove the License association with the HP PC.

Look the easiest bet is to just wipe the hard drive and try again with the work laptop, if its a work license you will probably be fine.

With the hard drive in the correct laptop, stick in the disk and boot the disk from the bios screen, you should be able to wipe and do a fresh install from there.

Corporate licenses can usually work on a number of installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its nothing to do with licensing, that comes way after the point you're getting to.

The issue is most likely the drive mode or MFT. If one is AHCI and the other isn't, it wont work. If you installed with a UEFI and GPT but the second laptop wants MBR and BIOS, won't work.

Simplest fix is still a fresh install as the windows setup utility will configure itself to match the system.

Advertisement