Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID on this Raptor

Options
  • 29-11-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all, I have seen this bird flying around where I live for the las few weeks, I know a lot of birds of prey but I couldnt figure out what kind it was due to fact i was driving when I saw it. I took this photo today (I was too far away to get a better one), so now it looks like a Kestrel to me. I have seen it in flight but I haven't seen it hovering like you would expect a Kestrel to do. If any body can confirm the raptors ID I would appreciate it.

raptor.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looks like a Kestrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Yeah thats what I thought, he seem big for a Kestrel so must be healthy. My inlaws said she saw two of them together so maybe they are a breeding pair that have moved into the area. I hope they stay around. They are such a beautiful bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Yep, 'tis a Kestrel. In the falcon world, the male is the smaller of the sexes so a big one would be a female!

Advertisement