Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloudify tablet for mam and remote support

Options
  • 29-11-2015 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Following from this thread, I've since got my mam a Padfone S to replace both her old motorolla xoom and her phone with the one phone/tablet combo. Before I give it to her, I'd like to set it up so it's the epicentre of all her communication/media so this will mean taking photos off the phone memory card and all that, which will be easy enough, but I'd like everything to be backed up online if possible too. She'd only have a few GB of data so I'm thinking if it could be done through Gmail's allowance it would be best to keep it simple with the one account. Is it possible to have photos taken with the device camera to be automatically synced to a G-cloud at all?

I'd also like to be able to troubleshoot any problems she might have remotely so I'd be able to just open up a browser window on my laptop and take control of her pad to do any quick support tasks so if anyone could recommend something for this it'd be appreciated too!

Any feedback at all welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Teamviewer for remote support, android and windows clients are excellent.

Use Google Photos/Picasa webs to sync photos between the cloud and all her devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the input. I've used teamviewer on my laptop before for allowing someone else remote access so good to hear they have a android client I can do this with :)

I had a quick search of syncing picasa on both youtube and google and most results are about deleting and disabling the option so now I'm wondering is it perhaps not such a good way of going about the media back up but I guess it's worth a try. A friend mentioned before that he had all photos he took on his phone automatically sync to his drop box. It wouldn't be so bad having one extra account if it's a lot better than what Google offer, but if it can be done through Google just as good, that's even better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I've used teamviewer on my laptop before for allowing someone else remote access so good to hear they have a android client I can do this with :)

I had a quick search of syncing picasa on both youtube and google and most results are about deleting and disabling the option so now I'm wondering is it perhaps not such a good way of going about the media back up but I guess it's worth a try. A friend mentioned before that he had all photos he took on his phone automatically sync to his drop box. It wouldn't be so bad having one extra account if it's a lot better than what Google offer, but if it can be done through Google just as good, that's even better :)

If you have Google photos installed on the pad it should back everything up to the cloud. You can set conditions like only when charging, only when on wifi etc. It's also fairly simple to exclude or include folders for backup, in fact I'm pretty sure it asks you when it finds a folder with new media in it (like viber or whatsapp).
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos

Thanks a lot for that, I didn't realise that was different to picasa and I see there's unlimited storage for photos under 16 mega pixels and videos 1080p and under? That's great! I see it categorises photos and tags faces and everything, which I'd rather not have my mam confused with, just want a simple back up solution so all her info and files aren't confined to one device, so hopefully you can turn all them fancy features off :)

So I guess between google drive, unlimited storage on photos and gmail, youtube, search history etc all under Google, that's all she needs and then a teamviewer app for remote support :)

Looks like it's not possible to do teamviewer properly on the asus, from what I read you need to be a business user??

Also I started up the google photos app and it appeared to create a google+ account, I just hope the photos don't show up on a public profile?

• Advertisement
Advertisement