Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New amp and woofer. Need advise on speakers.

Options
  • 29-11-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

I recently got a Sony STR-DH800amp and Eltax Atomic sub at the right money.

I set it up last night using one of my Wharfdale Diamonds 9.1s as a center and an old set of Panasonic surround speakers.

Needless to say, it did not sound right.

Very tinny with hard to hear vocal speech. Mainly due to the TV using the L/R more than the center.

I need speakers and my budget demands that I look at the second hand market.

The diamonds I have are way to big for the front L/R . The front has to be wall mounted white or maple and be somewhat shallow, discreet and small in size. .

Im not sure how to match the up a set with a center also. Any recommendations? I guess 200 euro second hand would be my max.

Im also after one of those auto calibration mics if any one is selling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

According to the manual for the amp you can set it up without a centre speaker. This should divert any centre multichannel channel to both the left and right speakers.

The TV audio is most likely 2 channel anyway so you are unlikely to get good surround sound from it (only artificially using prologic or dtsneo)

The front two channels are going to be doing most of the work so forcing them into small discreet speakers is not going to be the best choice sound wise.

Personally I have not run a centre channel in years - though I do run pretty big front left/right speakers.

If you *have* to get small fronts, then IMO, there is little point in having large surrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

If thats the case I maybe go for something like this. They look a bit smaller than the Diamonds I have. At 7 in. x 7.5 in. x 10.25 in

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Celestion-F10-4-in.-2-way-Speakers/1182440/product.html
    L1018831a.jpg

Thats the size of cab I could get away with. Its a small room at 4m x 6m wired in every corner for a speaker.

The wife will not allow floor standers.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

They seem decent, though being back ported they probably would be best a bit away from the wall.

Front ported like your diamond 9's can be flush on the wall without impacting the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Im going to give Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s a go. They seem to be shallow in depth which is what I am after. They are a good 100mm shallower than my 9.1 diamonds.

They are black. But a quick trip to B&Q for primer and paint should sort that.

Its just getting them that's the problem.

Advertisement