Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Pavilion AMD A10 15.6 Inch 8GB 2TB.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭worded

Lenovo Have great keyboards on their laptops and well made I think

They have extended Black Friday deals

Not a fan of HP for laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

worded wrote: »
    Lenovo Have great keyboards on their laptops and well made I think

They have extended Black Friday deals

Not a fan of HP for laptops

Thanks. Yeah HP is unknown to me. I'v only got Dell and Toshiba none of which is AMD.
    I booked one and was just waying up my options, not in a major rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a great price really, it's one of AMD's better processors, 2TB hard drive and 8GB of ram. Also the integrated graphics are decent enough, for playing low intensity type games (won't really run any new games though).

That's a great price really, it's one of AMD's better processors, 2TB hard drive and 8GB of ram. Also the integrated graphics are decent enough, for playing low intensity type games (won't really run any new games though).

Thanks TerrorFirmer..... any idea if this can take an SSD? I had a look on the HP site and don't see anything about an expansion bay but I wouldn't really know what to look for. Just thinking in 2 years time it will need a speed boost so an SSD would be useful, I do see the memory should be upgradable to 16GB with 1 more 8GB DIMM so that will be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

PC world have a bunch of HPs around -500-600 Euro at various price points between that, with different combinations. I'm aiming for one of them myself...

• Advertisement

PC world have a bunch of HPs around -500-600 Euro at various price points between that, with different combinations. I'm aiming for one of them myself...

I picked the one up from Argos. Sticking on win 10 at the minute. Looks ok so far, fair bit of PC for 400 Eur. :)
    HP build quality looks better than the Dell I bought last year.
    Should be plenty of deals between now and mid January, best of luck with the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Blankety wrote: »
    I picked the one up from Argos. Sticking on win 10 at the minute. Looks ok so far, fair bit of PC for 400 Eur. :)
    HP build quality looks better than the Dell I bought last year.
    Should be plenty of deals between now and mid January, best of luck with the hunt.
    Have one reserved for tomorrow,good specs for 400 euro - let me know how the windows 10 update goes for you, had a look at argos uk site at the reviews and some said it got quite hot during the update ( im still going to do it though !) ;)

Moreilly wrote: »
    - let me know how the windows 10 update goes for you, had a look at argos uk site at the reviews and some said it got quite hot during the update

Upgrade did not complete, downloaded fine, files transferred ok, then when it started rebooting the PC got to 16% of the reboot and restarted restoring Win8.
    Device was not hot, I'd say 30 - 35 degrees but i didn't put a temp probe on it. HP coolsense was on so fans were maybe running harder than normal.
    I'll stick a Win 10 DVD in there tonight if I get a chance, or I might turn off the coolsense.
    So not a great start but I'll try again, I expect to see a lot of these in refub stock Argos :confused:

Blankety wrote: »
    Upgrade did not complete, downloaded fine, files transferred ok, then when it started rebooting the PC got to 16% of the reboot and restarted restoring Win8.
    Device was not hot, I'd say 30 - 35 degrees but i didn't put a temp probe on it. HP coolsense was on so fans were maybe running harder than normal.
    I'll stick a Win 10 DVD in there tonight if I get a chance, or I might turn off the coolsense.
    So not a great start but I'll try again, I expect to see a lot of these in refub stock Argos :confused:
    Debating whether to pick it up or not now, looking at the reviews some people had problems with the update, then it updated fine on another try, its either this laptop or an A8 machine with a 1tb hard drive for about 100 euro extra, let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Hi Blankety,

Can you let us know how you get on please! I picked this up yesterday, it seems like a nice piece of kit but it is a christmas present so want to make sure will work with windows 10 before giving it!

Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi Blankety,

Can you let us know how you get on please! I picked this up yesterday, it seems like a nice piece of kit but it is a christmas present so want to make sure will work with windows 10 before giving it!

Cheers

im in the same boat - I'll be doing a win 10 install on it tomorrow night, i'll update on how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Got this http://www.currys.ie/Product/hp-15ac152sa-156-laptop-silver/335184/401.0.0 in Currys over the weekend cause the gpu in my old acer finally popped.

Will stick an ssd in to and caddy up the drive to my media player.

Not a bad spec for the price

Hi Blankety,

Cheers

Didn't have a minute to do the upgrade since. I Don't think it is relating to temperature issue reported on Argos feedback, more a driver issue, appears that you need to update win 8.1 fully and then do the win 10 load. Off course I went straight to the win 10 upgrade which probably caused the aborted upgrade problem. Need to free up some time tomorrow night to see if that is a correct diagnosis.
    In the end I don't think HP and AMD make mainstream consumer PC stuff that is incompatible with MS Win.

sugarman wrote: »
    #

If you dont have any need for the optical drive, remove it and buy a caddy for the 2TB drive. Then stick an SSD into the HDD bay.

Yes off course - thanks... Bit of a brain freeze on my behalf.

Tried about 5 times last night - Windows 10 update failed , Had booted up the new HP Pavilion AMD A10 15.6 Inch 8GB 2TB from argos, ran windows update to update windows 8 , when finished updating windows 8 i tried the windows 10 install. Error 0xC1900101 – 0x2000C The installation Failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operations each time
    :(
    will have a go at problem solving it over the weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Moreilly wrote: »
    Tried about 5 times last night - Windows 10 update failed , Had booted up the new HP Pavilion AMD A10 15.6 Inch 8GB 2TB from argos, ran windows update to update windows 8 , when finished updating windows 8 i tried the windows 10 install. Error 0xC1900101 – 0x2000C The installation Failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operations each time
    :(
    will have a go at problem solving it over the weekend :(

Download iso, put on bootable key, format drive, reinstall

Boom

Just load HP support assistant, check for updates, it will among other things load a new BIOS, reboot and install Win 10.
    If you don't update the BIOS and load from scratch after format you may have performance issues as you still have the old BIOS.
    Don't waste time downloading the HD graphics driver in Win 8 as it is the Win 10 version and won't load.
    Would make a good buy on Ebay as Argos refurb, a lot will get returned for this upgrade issue.
    It's a damm good pice of kit for €400.

So did you get it to work in the end?

I am thinking of opening it up tonight and downloading updates overnight - internet is dire here in the sticks!

So did you get it to work in the end?

!

Yes, easy upgrade to win 10 when HP Support assistance is loaded and you update a few of the key things like BIOS etc..

HP SA is 15MB.
    BIOS is 6 MB and there are a few other drivers around 10 MB.
    I ignored the 300-400MB updates.

Good luck.

Hi Blankety,

So have it turned on and working away! Finding windows 8 awkward had windows 7 and went straight to 10 so this is a little different!

I opening HP Support Assitant and checked for HP Updates but I am not getting anything! Also went to windows update and there's a couple of hundred updates there but don't want to go to the hassle of updating them if going straight to windows 10! Also the computer isnt letting me update to windows 10 just yet - it will notify me when it's ready!

What steps did you do?

• Advertisement

Thanks Blankety for all your help!

I updated HP support assistant and then the BIOS update came through. Updated that and left windows 10 downloading overnight and installed no problem! Have downloaded other bits and pieces and working away brilliantly!

Thanks Blankety for all your help!

I updated HP support assistant and then the BIOS update came through. Updated that and left windows 10 downloading overnight and installed no problem! Have downloaded other bits and pieces and working away brilliantly!

Great stuff. From what I see it's a decent machine.

Can I check, is there a Microsoft licence sticker on your laptop? I don't have one, normally there is one on the base.

It seems to be alright! I find the mouse takes a little bit of getting used to and I have always had one with two dedicated buttons but nothing to cry over.

I checked it there - no microsoft label on it. I have a compaq netbook also and it is made by HP with no label either! :confused:

Opened up the HP support assistant, bios update not coming up and using latest version of support assistant. installed latest bios from here http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04847245 and currently installing win 10 , i'll update on how it goes.......

Ran the update linked above from the HP site & Windows 10 installed smoothly with no issues :):)

Advertisement