Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSM/HEAR Questions: History and World Religions and Theology

Options
  • 28-11-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I'll be sitting my Leaving Cert exams in June 2016 and my first choice for college is History with World Religions and Theology in Trinity. I will be applying for HEAR and I definitely qualify for it. I have a couple of questions for anyone who's on the History and/or World Religions and Theology course as well as for anyone who got into Trinity on HEAR (if there's anyone who's in both those courses AND got in on HEAR, that would be great!)
    Enough of my backstory, here's what I'd like to know:
    -Do you enjoy the course(s) and what do you like/dislike about them?
    -What are the lectures like?
    -Are the lecturers any good? (I know 'good' is very broad, any feedback would be appreciated)
    -How many hours approx. do you spend in college a week?
    -How many points did you get in the Leaving Cert, how many were you over the minimum points cut off (ie, of the minimum points of 470/495 for History, or 350/385 for WR+T, how many did you get above that?)

Then there's some questions I have about HEAR, if anyone got in this way:
    -What course are you on, how many places does the course have and how many points did you fall short/what did they allow you in on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

vices wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'll be sitting my Leaving Cert exams in June 2016 and my first choice for college is History with World Religions and Theology in Trinity. I will be applying for HEAR and I definitely qualify for it. I have a couple of questions for anyone who's on the History and/or World Religions and Theology course as well as for anyone who got into Trinity on HEAR (if there's anyone who's in both those courses AND got in on HEAR, that would be great!)
    Enough of my backstory, here's what I'd like to know:
    -Do you enjoy the course(s) and what do you like/dislike about them?
    -What are the lectures like?
    -Are the lecturers any good? (I know 'good' is very broad, any feedback would be appreciated)
    -How many hours approx. do you spend in college a week?
    -How many points did you get in the Leaving Cert, how many were you over the minimum points cut off (ie, of the minimum points of 470/495 for History, or 350/385 for WR+T, how many did you get above that?)

Then there's some questions I have about HEAR, if anyone got in this way:
    -What course are you on, how many places does the course have and how many points did you fall short/what did they allow you in on?

I entered TCD on the HEAR scheme. I know quite a bit about it. When I was applying Trinity had to reserve 10% of places for HEAR/DARE/TAP students. It doesn't work in the way you think it does.

I got the points for my course thankfully. If I had not, I was only one of three HEAR/DARE students in the year of my course. The points entry was 455 at the time. If I had say got 300 points, satisfied all the requirements of HEAR/DARE, satisfied course requirements (Maths HC3) and no other people were HEAR/DARE, I would get an additional 155 points.

This is how it works. If there are 50 places, 5 places are reserved for this purpose. People who attain the points but are HEAR/DARE do count however.

Hope this helps.

PS. Course was 455, I got 470, 40 places at the time I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vices

Thanks so much for your input! I was nervous about the whole HEAR thing (which I definitely will qualify for) as my school's lovely guidance councilor seems to think that Trinity "won't be as generous as somewhere like UCD" when it comes to letting in HEAR students with lower points, even though if things go well I'll only be between 25 - 40 points short. From what you said that obviously isn't the case!

Advertisement