Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seiko Self Winding Running very fast

Options
  • 28-11-2015 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a second hand Seiko automatic 21 jewel self winding watch which is now running very fast. (Gaining about 3 hours in every 24)

I had a go at adjusting it myself, but if anything it went faster and kept stopping. I reversed the action on the regulator, but still running way too fast.

I re-set it to where it was originally and it now running OK without stopping, but its still running fast.

I tried a couple of jewellers but they wouldn't touch it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭goose banker

I know very little about watches but since I'm the first to respond I'll throw in my twopence worth. Could the balance spring have become magnetised? The spring could have stuck to itself magnetically, effectively shortening it and making it swing back and forth quicker and making the watch run extremely fast. If you could get it run over a demagnetizer it might be worth a try? Sorry, that's all I can suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks for that GB. I'm reading on the web in places that automatics need to be wound up manually now and again.

Is there 2 settings on the winder? One to adjust the hands and one to wind manually?

http://www.bernardwatch.com/blog/why-is-it-important-to-wind-my-automatic-with-the-crown/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭goose banker

Some automatics can be hand wound and some can not so it depends on the watch you have. I've had a few Seiko's and they all couldn't be hand wound, just had to give them a shake (or just wear them). Some of the newer movements can be hand wound. If you post the model of watch someone might be able to help.

Usually for a watch that can't be hand wound, when you pull the crown out to the first position this is the date setting position. The next position out with the crown is the time setting position.

For a movement that can be hand wound, it'll either just wind in position or if it's a screw down crown it'll wind when unscrewed and popped out. Then the next position is for the date set, then the time setting position last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I would get that watch serviced. If a watch has gunk in the movement, the balance, then that can prevent a full oscilation which means more oscilations in less time...which makes your watch go faster. If there is gunk in there then that is also stressing the parts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP what movement is it, 7s26? These can't be hand wound. Newer 36s can be.
    Was it ever dropped? Sometimes the balance spring can get twisted, shortening the swing, making it run v fast, similar to what goose suggested above with magnetism. Wait until it stops then give it a sharp rap against the heel of your fist. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Another suggestion is google seiko+(movement number)+ trouble shooting.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Thanks for info.

The winder has a first setting, which when wound up clockwise makes a clicking noise. Presumably winding the watch?

When fully extended, the winder changes the hands/time and date.

When fully in, the winder, when pressed acts like a button and changes the day.

I'd say you guys are right, either needs a service or magnitised.

Where could I get it serviced? Does it need to be sent away to Seiko, or would a standard jeweller who does watch repairs be able to do it? Two jewellers I tried wouldn't touch it. One said it would have to be sent away and would be very expensive.

Thanks for your time and advice.

What watch is it? Should besmall numbers either side of 6 o'clock.

@Blue5000.

Indeed, very small writing.

Looks like "Japan 7019" on the left hand side.

with "012 LR" on the right hand side.

But I might be reading that wrong.

EDIT: On the back it has "7009-3140" with a capital A in a square box.

Thanks

Photo attached:

• Advertisement

Many thanks for that Blue5000. I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on.

I'm guessing that to send it away for a service is probably going to be too expensive and really not worth it. Fingers crossed.

Tried that but no joy. Gave it a fair few good slaps. Momentarily therapeutic.

It's gaining 10 minutes in every hour. Will see if I can get it serviced locally. Thanks for that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Sounds magnetised. If you have a compass handy, slowly pass the back of the watch underneath the compass and see if the compass is affected.

Just to let you guys know how I got on.

Three of the coils of the spring were stuck together. Jeweller thought it was either oil or dirt.

Got it fixed for little more than the price of a few pints, chuffed to bits.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for coming back with the update; it's always useful to know how things like this work out, for future reference.

Advertisement