Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaiety Stand-Up Comedy Course?

• 27-11-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Does anyone know much about the stand up comedy course in the Gaiety, whether it is recommended, etc? Sharon Mannion is the course instructor. I would like to try something new in the New Year and was originally thinking of an acting course as I dabble in it here in there but have never done any formal training aside from an acting for screen course a long time ago (I am mid-30s).

Anyway, the comedy thing would definitely be something new but I'd like to see if I can get some feedback on it before looking to book it!

Any opinions / thoughts / experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I think the very idea of a comedy course is crazy. Watch some professional and amateur stuff on youtube, write comedy, learn it off, do an open mic. Only way to learn.

Obviously Doug can say it better.
    http://www.dougstanhope.com/journal/2010/7/12/comedy-death-camp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Have you seen the series on TheJournal.ie by a writer currently doing the course, OP?

You'll always have that debate about whether standup courses are helpful or daylight robbery. I would say:

Pros:
    • Teaches you stagecraft and confidence
    • gets you writing if you're not used to it
    • gets you on stage at the end of it
    Cons:
    • tends to be very expensive
    • staged in an artificially supportive environment, not a realistic representation of what gigs will be like
    • you will learn stagecraft and confidence with time anyway
    So, I would say if you have the money to spare do it by all means but nothing is going to make you better than just doing lots of gigs and trying and failing.

If it's one of those things where you don't think you'll ever get up on stage unless you're essentially forced up by a course, then do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gmanprofit

riveratom wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Does anyone know much about the stand up comedy course in the Gaiety, whether it is recommended, etc? Sharon Mannion is the course instructor. I would like to try something new in the New Year and was originally thinking of an acting course as I dabble in it here in there but have never done any formal training aside from an acting for screen course a long time ago (I am mid-30s).

Anyway, the comedy thing would definitely be something new but I'd like to see if I can get some feedback on it before looking to book it!

Any opinions / thoughts / experiences?

Just do open mics, if you wish to start stand up comedy. You'll be crap to start off as is everyone. My only advice as far as meterial is (be yourself) take everyday taughts and exaggerate them for laughs it makes you more relatable and you can sell the material more easily:)

+
    Don't be afraid to go up with a page in your hand as your head will go COMPLETELY blank the 1st time.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Here's the set of the writer who did the course, in the most supportive environment you'll ever get in open mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcQWUHLNss4

Do you think this material and delivery really required €310 and 12 weeks of two hour classes? Or could you go email battleoftheaxe in dublin and have something like this ready by the time you get your slot in Feb for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I stared comedy through a course. I won't done it otherwise. If you PM I pass on details about it.

I think if there reasonably priced and you can afford to do it (Time/Money wise) I don't see why not. All other forms of Art have courses (Writing, Acting, Music etc) it seems in the macho world of stand, people look down on those who do courses. I heard many times from others, who weren't aware that how I started, going on about "you can't teach funny", "Just get up there and do it" etc. I tried & failed to explain to them the fun and knowledge it can bring.

I doubt that gaiety course would be worth it. 12 weeks is a lot of padding and I say you end doing more "acting stuff" to fill out the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement