Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Fire 7 - good without prime?

• 27-11-2015 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting the amazon fire 7 that's in argos at the moment for €50 for the kids to play apps' on and watch videos. App's from the amazon appstore are fine for me, not worried about not having play - however, someone mentioned that when you're not a prime member amazon subject you to ad's.

Now what I'm wondering, is if I put videos' in mp3 or mkv format onto an sd, will the tablet play them for me like my nexus will, or will I be subjected to some form of amazon marketing by having to use their software to play the videos?

Is there any other major difference that would affect a child using?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

alowe wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting the amazon fire 7 that's in argos at the moment for €50 for the kids to play apps' on and watch videos. App's from the amazon appstore are fine for me, not worried about not having play - however, someone mentioned that when you're not a prime member amazon subject you to ad's.

Now what I'm wondering, is if I put videos' in mp3 or mkv format onto an sd, will the tablet play them for me like my nexus will, or will I be subjected to some form of amazon marketing by having to use their software to play the videos?

Is there any other major difference that would affect a child using?

The ads just show up on the lockscreen. When you are unlocking the tablet, there'll be a full screen ad there.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Thanks for that. I ended up buying one. The ad's aren't too annoying, as you say, they're only on the screen-saver. Would love to be able to edit and remove icons from the home screen, and to play avi's, but will do a bit of reading up, and should be able to find work-arounds with modding.

Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

alowe wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I ended up buying one. The ad's aren't too annoying, as you say, they're only on the screen-saver. Would love to be able to edit and remove icons from the home screen, and to play avi's, but will do a bit of reading up, and should be able to find work-arounds with modding.

Thanks for reply.
    Can you get rte/tv3 player on the fire tab do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Can you get rte/tv3 player on the fire tab do you know?

Yes, just find the APKs.

Advertisement