Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for Girlfriend (XMAS)

Options
  • 27-11-2015 5:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

So im looking for a laptop for my girlfriend.

Looking for something for around €200 give or take a little.
    Its purpose? Web browsing, streaming, very basic gaming.

I really don't keep up to date with laptop makes, models and prices. She already has my old custom built PC for gaming so the laptop is really just for netflix and web browsing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Adverts.ie

2nd hand is your route with that budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ED E wrote: »
    Adverts.ie

2nd hand is your route with that budget.

2nd hand for christmas....

listermint wrote: »
    2nd hand for christmas....

The cheapest new actual laptop is a Celeron based dell for 285 which is out of budget and will not game AT ALL. Beggars cant be choosers, and in the laptop market 200 is really begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hp 10 inch 2 in 1 laptop it's a tablet and PC in one cost 270,will do everything you need,in Harvey Norman argos power city happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If it's really just for Netflix/browsing I'd recommend taking a look at a tablet instead. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Thanks all, Sorry I should have pointed out that I didn't mind second hand or refurbished laptops.

I've been looking at this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elitebook-2540p-Laptop-2-53GHz/dp/B00XAEU7IS/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1448675228&sr=1-2&keywords=laptops

Works out a €208 including postage and parcel motel as seller doesn't ship to the ROI.

Also a lot of cheap refurbished laptops from the uk on ebay but id prefer to use amazon as I've found them much better when I have received faulty or not as described items.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There's a lenovo laptop on sale in argos for 179.00 reduced from 319.00. I think that's a brilliant bargain. Ive a lenovo laptop, and its been pretty good, its 4 years old now.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4483032/Trail/searchtext%3ELENOVO.htm

That price is only valid till the 1st of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

fin12 wrote: »
    There's a lenovo laptop on sale in argos for 179.00 reduced from 319.00. I think that's a brilliant bargain. Ive a lenovo laptop, and its been pretty good, its 4 years old now.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4483032/Trail/searchtext%3ELENOVO.htm

That price is only valid till the 1st of December.

It is a very good price for new but the specs of the one I linked above are better.

killanena wrote: »
    Thanks all, Sorry I should have pointed out that I didn't mind second hand or refurbished laptops.

I've been looking at this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elitebook-2540p-Laptop-2-53GHz/dp/B00XAEU7IS/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1448675228&sr=1-2&keywords=laptops

Works out a €208 including postage and parcel motel as seller doesn't ship to the ROI.

Also a lot of cheap refurbished laptops from the uk on ebay but id prefer to use amazon as I've found them much better when I have received faulty or not as described items.

520m is ok. Depending on what she's used to 1200x800 will be ok, if she uses a 22" 1080p panel all day say and comes back to that itll be jarring, but if not its grand. Buy her an SSD for her birthday and itll fly ;)

Bare in mind though that the battery on it will probably be knackered at this point as its had a good run already.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

killanena wrote: »
    It is a very good price for new but the specs of the one I linked above are better.

We still have a few of those 2540p's hanging around the office and they're ok I suppose.. the resolution is poor though by today's standards but if you can live with it.

I don't rate HP's from that era in general though - the 6930p, 8460p were/are nowhere near as good as the DELL equivalents (E6410, E6420) - but to be fair I'm basing this partly on what models are able for the abuse they get in our place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement