Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Recruiters in Town?

Options
  • 27-11-2015 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Seems to be the case that anyone with €5.00 to spare and a Vista print account can set up a recruitment agency in this town.

As the market picks up, in the views of any of the seasoned posters here, who actually are the most credible, honest, and reliable guys in town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I know someone in the accountancy field who is job hunting at the moment. He has gotten the best response from Brightwater. They seem to be the first to hear about jobs and contact him. Very good at staying in contact and keeping him up to date.

Have heard bad things about Hays. They meet with you initially for a chat then don't get back to you for 4 or 5 weeks (have heard this from several people). Also they seem to be a day or two behind the other recruitment agencies. Eg. Brightwater would call you Monday and set up an interview with X company on Friday. Hays would ring you Wednesday and try to set an interview for the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

Had great experience with Barden, great communication, interview technique advise and aid in looking for what would suit you. best one i have had the pleasure to deal with by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mary2014

could you forward a name. thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Do not touch Leinster Recruitment.

Thankfully wasn't me they done over, but a close friend, so I do feel aggrieved.

Basically they lied about terms and perks in a position, knowing full well they weren't available.

Friend quit her job after being promised them, to find out later from the company she was working for they didn't provide them.

Some fault on her part of course here, but still, do not approach these messers!

In terms of good ones - Morgan McKinley were professional for me. Didn't take their job, but I found them pleasant to deal with up to job offer stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I am very sorry to say there are a lot of cowboys around. Car salesmen is what they are, but in better clothing. It is really disheartening. Do these guys have any code of ethics at all?

Someone mentioned about Barden and Ed Heffernan. Absolute gent. Top guy. Others that would be reputable are Charlie Blaque in accpro and Louise O'Leary in the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Mary2014

myshirt wrote: »
    I am very sorry to say there are a lot of cowboys around. Car salesmen is what they are, but in better clothing. It is really disheartening. Do these guys have any code of ethics at all?

Someone mentioned about Barden and Ed Heffernan. Absolute gent. Top guy. Others that would be reputable are Charlie Blaque in accpro and Louise O'Leary in the panel.

ED Lied to me, he promised me a role, contract signed and sealed so I believed until terms changed after the first day in the new role.very unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I am very surprised to hear that. I met the guy and found him sincere and with good sensible advice. He certainly had a clear grasp on what he was doing. He is around some time also.

I won't name and shame some of the other guys I met in my time, but my god there is such a depth of absolute chancers about the place, it is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I'd stay well away from sigmar - basically didn't tell the truth about the role to me or what I was going into .

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Stay away from all the big companies. All the best and well connected recruiters have branched out and setup their own recruitment agencies. I dealt with Brightwater earlier this year and found them useless so amazed somebody mentioned them in this thread. Could all depend on who you meet though.

Best way is to check out the recruiter's linkedin page so you know how long they've been doing this for. Most of the bigger companies you'll end up dealing with a graduate who's been in the job a few months. What contacts in the industry are they going to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Word of advice, don't have your mobile number on LinkedIn. Bad enough them sending you emails every day, I know a lad who they decided to phone while he was in work!

There's something about them all that I just don't trust. While I appreciate that people have used them and found them helpful, personally I can't stand them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

There's something about them all that I just don't trust. While I appreciate that people have used them and found them helpful, personally I can't stand them.
    Understandable scepticism but you have a far better chance of getting called to an interview. If you're applying for a job with a lot of applicants it's a great way of drawing attention to your application, especially if it is from a reputable recruiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Best way is to check out the recruiter's linkedin page so you know how long they've been doing this for. Most of the bigger companies you'll end up dealing with a graduate who's been in the job a few months. What contacts in the industry are they going to have?

Thats a great post and I think it can account for a lot of the bad experiences people have. Sometimes the recruiter has 3/4 months work experience, is straight out of college and under a lot of pressure to start placing candidates in roles. They just havnt a clue what there doing.

I usually don't deal with anyone who hasn't been working in recruitment for at least 4 years and that's a minimum or anyone who comes across as a dodgy used car salesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Stay away from all the big companies. All the best and well connected recruiters have branched out and setup their own recruitment agencies. I dealt with Brightwater earlier this year and found them useless so amazed somebody mentioned them in this thread. Could all depend on who you meet though.

I would completely disagree about avoiding the large ones as a policy. If/when I'm looking to recruit I would generally go for the larger more reputable firms as they will have the bigger pool of candidates.

I've had two independent recruiters/head hunters (both incidentally ex-Brightwater) both lie to me about available positions which either didn't exist or were actually with other recruiters.

I would have had good and bad experiences with different recruiters, so it really depends on the person, position, etc. Remember, at the end of the day, the recruiters are working for the employer, not the candidate.

OP what level are you at? Some recruiters are aimed towards more senior positions so you need to figure out which ones have the roles most suited to your level.

Advertisement