Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Bank's Call Centres edit their recorded phonecalls?

Options
  • 26-11-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

An issue I had with my bank has recently being registered by the Financial Ombudsman and will soon be adjudicated. The customer service reps were completely in the wrong and made several offers which they didn't follow through on, which left me with no money in my account and unpaid direct debit fees.

I've sent all the evidence (emails etc) from my end; and the bank have to send all their records to the Ombudsman also (which I presume will be recordings of the calls).

Does anyone know how these calls are saved in the bank's records? Are there media developers working there especially to manage a library of these recordings? If so, is there a chance that the bank could edit/cut parts of the calls to go in their favour?

Sounds a bit paraoid I know, but I work in media so I know how easy it is to chop a piece of audio. I just don't know what kind of a media team are working in banks/if someone would even get away with asking a developer to edit a recording in there?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The recordings should be timecoded. There won't be a media team working on them; it'll be a commercial system bought in from elsewhere.

Its quite common to get a 'transcript' of calls which is often 'accidentally' badly transcribed but the actual recordings aren't that easy to mess with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 quizmaster83

So would they be sending the transcriptions on to the Ombudsman or the actual recordings?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So would they be sending the transcriptions on to the Ombudsman or the actual recordings?

Depends what they're asked for.

Ok, let's hope it's the actual calls. Thanks a million, that was really helpful. It's put me at my ease that they can't necessarily edit the calls anyways.

L1011 wrote: »
    The recordings should be timecoded. There won't be a media team working on them; it'll be a commercial system bought in from elsewhere.

Its quite common to get a 'transcript' of calls which is often 'accidentally' badly transcribed but the actual recordings aren't that easy to mess with.

Sorry, one more question - would these transcriptions be automatically generated by the same software which records the calls or manually? I'm presuming that either way, it's easy to edit these afterwards....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Manually transcribed, not a hope of automatic software being good enough yet. They'll be outsourcing it to a company most likely (probably not even Irish) and the third party company wont risk their entire business for the sake of a few thousand Euro, you're worrying about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The bank I worked in we only recorded a small percentage of calls. And that was for QA/training purposes. And then the calls were wiped about once a month. So there may be no recording left of your calls OP (if one was ever taken).

Thargor wrote: »
    Manually transcribed, not a hope of automatic software being good enough yet. They'll be outsourcing it to a company most likely (probably not even Irish) and the third party company wont risk their entire business for the sake of a few thousand Euro, you're worrying about nothing.

That's also reassuring thanks. Do the outscourced company return the files in a non-editable format though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

You're being extremely paranoid OP. Editing a call and getting caught would result in a fine much heavier than the few quid they'd be paying you for returned DD fees etc.

• Advertisement

The bank I worked in we only recorded a small percentage of calls. And that was for QA/training purposes. And then the calls were wiped about once a month. So there may be no recording left of your calls OP (if one was ever taken).

Good point. I suppose they do say "may be recorded". There were one or two calls were the rep reiterated it at the start of the call so I presume those calls definitely were...

You're being extremely paranoid OP. Editing a call and getting caught would result in a fine much heavier than the few quid they'd be paying you for returned DD fees etc.

Yeah, that's true. I presume if I pointed out that it was different to the original this would be investigated and they could get caught

Good point. I suppose they do say "may be recorded". There were one or two calls were the rep reiterated it at the start of the call so I presume those calls definitely were...

The customer service agent will have no idea whether it's being recorded at all but they're obliged to tell you that it could be so you can opt out of a call that's possibly being recorded.

The customer service agent will have no idea whether it's being recorded at all but they're obliged to tell you that it could be so you can opt out of a call that's possibly being recorded.

Oh ok. God, I was under the impression that all calls were recorded. The bank could just say to the Ombudsman that they don't have recordings of the calls which I referred to in the issue..*gulp...

Oh ok. God, I was under the impression that all calls were recorded. The bank could just say to the Ombudsman that they don't have recordings of the calls which I referred to in the issue..*gulp...

Again, you're assuming they'd lie to the FSO to save out on what'll probably amount to what ~€100? No financial institution would take that risk.

Again, you're assuming they'd lie to the FSO to save out on what'll probably amount to what ~€100? No financial institution would take that risk.

You're absolutely right, I'm worrying over nothing. Thanks Nervous Wreck!

Advertisement