Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reason why you cannot buy frosted 100w bulbs but can buy clear 100w Bulbs?

Options
  • 26-11-2015 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭

Didnt know whether to put this in 'electrical' or 'after hours' so i opted for the latter

Got meself some 100w BC bulbs the other day out of Dealz - good you can still get 100w these days as in some places they have stopped selling 100w GLS bulbs they either do these halogen in a bulb type or flourescent in a bulb shape or just 60w as a maximum. Good deal in Dealz €1.49 for 2! (maybe that should have been put in 'Bargain Alerts' lol)

So what is the reasoning (I know its some bloody european directive but i dont know why such stipulation) that electrical outlets can still sell 100w lamps but the stipulation is that they got to be clear not frosted??? - has the frosted/pearl material inside the glass got poisonous properties and this is why they banned the frosted ones i am wondering?

I personally like frosted better because the way they diffuse the light, if I put a clear bulb in my lampshade the cut out pattern of the shade is 'projected' onto the wall - you dont get this with the frosted bulbs. I could get flourescent but even when they say "100w equivalent" - I dont believe it they look dimmer, and they take a bit to get up to full brightness and you certainly cannot get (not what I have seen) 2x 100w equivalent Fluorescent lamps for as cheap as €1.49

on another note I have just read the notes on the side of the box the light bulbs came in out of Dealz and it says "Not Suitable for Household room illumination" - A.) I dont know why that is? - I wonder what you are supposed to use them for and B. how many people dont read that and just use them anyway in their room ? - I might email the company/manufacturers and ask why they are not suitable for household room illumination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

'Tis fierce cloudy in here with the frosty bulbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Just buy the faaackin' bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I too wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

if I put a clear bulb in my lampshade the cut out pattern of the shade is 'projected' onto the wall - you dont get this with the frosted bulbs.

You also don't get this if you buy a light shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The eu were supposed to ban the sale of frosted bulbs in 2009. To encourage the sale of CFLs. Maybe clear lights are used in other applications where LEDs or CFLs wouldn't be suitable?
    You can get halogen bulbs in traditional looking form but they are clear.
    I thought 100w bulbs were banned in the uk, aren't dealz just poundland?

http://www.poundland.co.uk/home-and-pet/around-the-home/lighting-and-electrical/pifco-gls-bulb-100w-bayonet-cap-pack-of-3

Maybe the disclaimer on the pack is a way to get around the law?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

LED bulbs is where it is at these days. Sure who could afford to be burning 100watts on a light?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It's to do with turf being wet at this time of the year.

Menas wrote: »
    LED bulbs is where it is at these days. Sure who could afford to be burning 100watts on a light?!

Would put a 100w bulb in a room,unless you were planning surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Menas wrote: »

whats the colour rendering on LED bulbs these days? still many have a blue'ish stark white light - I have even seen 'warm white' LED bulbs next to conventional bulb and the colour is still off - plus, with most LED bulbs are not dimmable - plus they are still quite expensive

whats the colour rendering on LED bulbs these days? still many have a blue'ish stark white light - I have even seen 'warm white' LED bulbs next to conventional bulb and the colour is still off - plus, with most LED bulbs are not dimmable - plus they are still quite expensive

We got the whole house converted, some dimmable, and the light is as good as the old filament bulbs. The 'warm' ones are a must. You dont want the house lit up like a factory with that blue light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's so cfl bulbs can be distinguished from traditional 'hot light' bulbs I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

The not suitable for room illumination thing is to get around the law. They are sold as 100w heaters that just happen to give off light as a byproduct :D Seriously :D

I've been replacing internal lights with warm white LEDs from Tesco which are about €10. Very happy with the brightness and colour temp. However, the fact I now hear dealz have 100w incandescent means I'll be making a trip tomorrow to get some for our outside light fittings. The current CFLs we have out their although they have lasted 5 years already are dim as Fcuk :D

Calibos wrote: »
    The not suitable for room illumination thing is to get around the law. They are sold as 100w heaters that just happen to give off light as a byproduct :D Seriously :D

I've been replacing internal lights with warm white LEDs from Tesco which are about €10. Very happy with the brightness and colour temp. However, the fact I now hear dealz have 100w incandescent means I'll be making a trip tomorrow to get some for our outside light fittings. The current CFLs we have out their although they have lasted 5 years already are dim as Fcuk :D

Why can't they sell the frosted type as room heaters ?

kneemos wrote: »
    Why can't they sell the frosted type as room heaters ?

Who would want to buy a frosty room heater? It would just make the room colder.

I dont think I have ever had a CFL bulb last anywhere near 5 years - even philips ones I got. - Homebase went through phase for a while of selling 11watt CFL for 99p each = 75w and they were philips or osram I think, bought a few but wish I had bought more at that price

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All explained here http://heatball.de/en/wirkungsgrad.php
    What is a HEATBALL®? A HEATBALL® is not a light bulb, but fits into the same socket!

Hence the HEATBALL has an efficiency of 95%!

Due to its effectiveness, the HEATBALL as a work of art would have an Efficiency Class A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Your bulbs are costing you very little.

Whats really costing you is your shower and anything else that heats water or has a motor.

Your bulbs are costing you very little.

Whats really costing you is your shower and anything else that heats water or has a motor.

indeed - you imagine how many light bulbs you would have to light to the equivalent of a 9Kw instant shower .... I know, lets ban showers!

indeed - you imagine how many light bulbs you would have to light to the equivalent of a 9Kw instant shower .... I know, lets ban showers!

It's very similar to the hoops drivers have to jump through to drive more green cars, when the likes of aeroplanes produce far more co2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

Andy, Just buy Rough Service bulbs. They are for industry & effectively the same as the old incandescent bulbs, frosted as well. Lots of hardware stores & industrial suppliers stock them. If you are near a Maplin they have them in packs of 10.

www.maplin.ie/p/100w-rough-service-gls-light-bulbs-10-pack-bc-a28kq

Ask yourself.

What would Rudolph do?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

At first I thought you must have misread it as being equivalent to 100W. I was in dealz the other day and did not see them.

They show them here.

http://www.dealz.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=pifco

I was after regular bulbs to use as heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

"Quite" expensive......talk about understatement....It's a RIP-OFF plain and simple.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

rubadub wrote: »
    At first I thought you must have misread it as being equivalent to 100W. I was in dealz the other day and did not see them.

They show them here.

http://www.dealz.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=pifco

I was after regular bulbs to use as heaters.

Pretty sure Dunnes have the 100w.

Advertisement