Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue - so unhelpful and thick

Options
  • 26-11-2015 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've just wasted an hour of my life talking to someone called <SNIP>. She couldn't have been any more unhelpful or uninterested. I simply wanted to pay tax, to file returns myself, she was of zero help. She didn't know the answers to basic questions It makes me so mad that my wage is going to pay the salary of these people. And she's not a once-off, also spoke to two revenue worker in <SNIP> who are meant to assist disability drivers and again they didn't even listen to the question I was asking and just kept interrupting me. It's like talking to people who are half robot and half zombie. I know it's hard dealing with the public which is why I go out of my way to be patient but I can see why people lose it with them all the time. They simply don't care. They're just there to pick up a wage and I feel if I make a complaint they'll find some excuse to slap me with an audit.
    Has anyone else had difficulty getting information out of them. The website is also a maze, it's like they want to make it as difficult as possible to claim what you're entitled to but have no difficulty in taxing you to the hilt or making sure they screw you for the last penny. Is there anywhere that teaches you how to navigate ROS properly and file returns and apply for tax rebates etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

What are you trying to do file a form 12 or form 11.

Are you trying to claim tax credits through PAYE anytime?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

I deal with revenue on a daily basis and always find them to be most helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭endacl

adrianw wrote: »

+1.

Well, a yearly basis! ROS is simple. If you can't figure out how to use it, hire an accountant, OP. Their fee will be deductible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Always found revenue staff very helpful. I haven't had to make a call since I started using ros though.
    I find it very straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

With all due respect OP, Revenue phone lines are not there to tell you how to file your taxes, use ROS, etc. That's what you pay an accountant for.

If you want to file your own returns in the future I suggest you pay an accountant for the first year so that you can learn how it all works and then perhaps attempt to do them yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

adrianw wrote: »

Same. There is the odd few who aren't helpful, who don't have a clue. Also in fairness the staff have been under pressure as many were let go on redundancies and not replaced. I find if you are reasonable with Revenue, they are reasonable back.

I find the Revenue website, ROS and PAYE anytime great to use.

If you think Revenue in Ireland are bad to deal with, be thankful you are not in the UK, I find HMRC website and system so difficult to navigate and even to find a form or a contact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rant backfired?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

OP if you have her name write a complaint. It's what's wrong with the public sector when we experience bad service we don't complain and Annie or arnie average can continue to pick up their pay check offering a bad service and have a nice inflation linked pension to look forward to.
    I find some are good some are useless and some are downright rude and condescending to deal with.

Advertisement