Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address information / cheating husband

Options
  • 26-11-2015 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have no idea about the internet so bear with me!
    I am wondering if I give an ip address to any one that has certain IT skills can they find out any more information other than the typical information provided on Ip tracking websites. I have read that you can't get the name of the person / their address etc. with an IP address, is this true?

I think my husband is cheating on me and I need proof before I confront him.

Any advice on finding information on websites or on his facebook /twitter / instagram will help, thanks in advance.
    I also know his passwords if there's anything I should check on his web pages if I log in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

hg47407 wrote: »
    I have no idea about the internet so bear with me!
    I am wondering if I give an ip address to any one that has certain IT skills can they find out any more information other than the typical information provided on Ip tracking websites. I have read that you can't get the name of the person / their address etc. with an IP address, is this true?

I think my husband is cheating on me and I need proof before I confront him.

Any advice on finding information on websites or on his facebook /twitter / instagram will help, thanks in advance.
    I also know his passwords if there's anything I should check on his web pages if I log in?
    I think you need relationship advice, why not ask him instead of checking everything out?

Depending on his phone you can use the following for tracking the device using GPS:

Android: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
    iOS: www.icloud.com
    BlackBerry 10: http://protect.blackberry.com

Anyway: http://www.ip-tracker.org/

But it will not point to the house the person is located, just to the latest point that is traceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

In your case, it's not possible to find the street address of any IP address (except your own, but that's no good to you). When the police are tracing IP addresses, they have to subpoena the internet service provider in order to obtain the details of the person's account that IP address belonged to. You obviously don't have the authority to do this because he hasn't broken any laws and you're not the police.

The only public information available is the name of their ISP and a rough (sometimes, very rough) location of the IP address.

If you have an email address of the person you suspect your husband is having an affair with, you could always try Googling the email address and see if you find any clues. You could also try typing the email address into Facebook's search engine and see and if their profile pops up - I've done this before to a few anonymous árseholes I've gotten into arguments over the internet and discovered their identity this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gothic_doll

You'd be wasting your time- if you have his passwords and still have no proof, you're not gonna find any. If he was doing anything as subvert as that looks like (if your suspicions are correct) it would likely be done via mobile phone, and very likely a second mobile phone you don't know about.

Mobile IP addresses are often not fixed, or shared by multiple users. Just talk to him (not arguing) in depth about topics related to, but not the actual topic of an affair. Judge his reaction to the various topics, and if you feel like the reaction confirms your suspicions, ask him outright. You're wasting time worrying about websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

I think you should confront your husband,yes there is programs outthere i aint going to tell you which ones cause i think you need to confront him first.

But if your really looking for software google keyloggers or keystroke they are programs that run in background and keep track of every key he press on your computer be very carefull on using and make sure you get a good one because some have virus,i dont recommend doing it as its spying and it aint right,as i said confront him the best way.hope i helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hg47407

I have confronted him, he says he would never cheat or do anything to hurt me. As I have no proof of the cheating I am stuck and don't know what to do. Thanks for all the replies all information greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

There was a thread here a couple of years ago in which a lady in a similar situation discovered her partners infidelity when she used google to search for something and noticed that the suggested sites google was offering were dating sites. One of the suggestions lead to the login page of a popular dating site with the username already entered.

Her partner had logged in to google on his work computer but didn't realise that Google remembers your searches on all devices you have logged in to. Perhaps this might help ?

I hope he is true to his word, take care.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I think the OP is watching too much CSI : Cyber or some other show .

While you can trace and IP address it only lead you back to the ISP and IP address are given out dynamically and doubt the ISP will tell you who that IP was assigned to.

Who told ever said they track him down is lying .

You have physical access to the computer , I guess you could install a some like keylogger, but like ever said ask him .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

hg47407 wrote: »
    I have confronted him, he says he would never cheat or do anything to hurt me. As I have no proof of the cheating I am stuck and don't know what to do.

This should really go to personal issues.

He could be doing anything from planning a surprise party, asking people online for advice on buying a present for the wife, catching up with old friends who you disapprove of, complaining about the wife online, watching adult material or all of the above.

A normal website has a relatively static IP address.
    An individual persons IP address can change daily, or more with those 3G dongles.
    As people said above, only the internet service provider can map a specific IP address at a specific time to one of their customers.

You can probably look at his internet history in the browser, which may only show what sites were visited. Assuming he's the only one who uses the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that whatever he is doing, your husband is entitled to his privacy and you may be committing an offence if you install tracking software on his devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i Know someone who had an affair,
    usually the mans behavior changes, he dress,s differently .
    goes out more , come,s home late .
    Makes excuses,eg i have to work late today .
    This goes on for weeks or months .
    Its easy to make a 2nd email adress to contact the other woman .
    he could go to a netcafe to use the web or facebook or snapchat or another app , to contact the woman .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I don't like where this thread is heading. As mentioned your Husband is entitled to privacy, just like you are. I'm going to close this thread as the legality of such activities discussed here I imagine are dubious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement